Experience the warmth of Māori Culture and get to know our living geothermal village with a fully guided village tour and delicious kai (Geothermal Hangi meal) to end your experience.
Your friendly, local guides are direct descendants of the early Māori guides, who shaped tourism in New Zealand for generations. Their insights, knowledge and legendary hospitality (manaakitanga) adds depth and richness to the experience you’ll have at Whakarewarewa – The Living Māori Village.
On the Whakarewarewa Guided Tour, you will:
- Explore an authentic living Māori village where people live on a daily basis, using natural geothermal resources to cook, bathe and heat their homes as they have for centuries
- Discover the vibrancy of Māori culture and the fascinating traditions of the Tūhourangi Ngāti Wāhiao people, who shaped tourism in New Zealand
- View the geothermal wonders of Whakarewarewa Geothermal Valley up close, including the world-famous Pōhutu geyser, boiling mud-pools, steam vents and bubbling pools
- Enjoy a traditional cooking demonstration – watch our residents prepare Hāngi meals in our in-ground steam boxes, and cook corn in the bubbling water of our geothermal hot pools – as they have for generations
- Learn what it’s like to live in the challenging environment of the Whakarewarewa Valley, where daily life includes cooking in the bubbling pools and steam vents, and bathing in the refreshing therapeutic waters
- Take in our various historical landmarks and buildings, including an active Marae, our WWII Memorial Archway, two historic churches, and tapu (sacred) burial grounds
The Tūhourangi Ngāti Wāhiao people – the residents of our village – have a proud history of song and dance spanning over a century. The Māori cultural performances offer the opportunity to hear traditional song and dance, and experience the fearsome Haka up-close.
The geothermal nature trails offer self-guided walks ranging between 10 and 50 minutes. Winding their way around the back of the village, these trails combine views of manuka scrub, different types of fern and edible plants, native bush and eerie glimpses of the unique geothermal landscape, including colourful steaming lakes and thermal pools that you can only view at Whakarewarewa. The nature trails offer a beautiful glimpse into the challenges and beauty of the landscapes our people have lived with for centuries – leave time in your itinerary to explore on foot.
Do not leave without taking time to relax and tuck into the unique and delicious food (kai) - this is the ultimate Whakarewarewa experience. Your ticket price comes with a geothermal Hangi Meal - our ultimate feast. Cooked courtesy of our geothermal steam vents and hot springs, this meal comprises of chicken, beef, potato, kumara, bread stuffing, carrots, cabbage topped with gravy, with delicious corn on the cob on the side. Dessert is the famous steam pudding, served with fruit salad, custard and cream. Tea, coffee and water are all complimentary.
What You Get
- Guided tour of approximately 1 hour in Whakarewarewa
- Maori Cultural Performance
- Nature Walks
- Geothermal Hangi lunch
- Hotel transfers and transportation to and from Whakarewarewa
- Personal expenses (optional)
How to Use
Please present a printed voucher upon entry on the day of your visit.
Terms and Conditions
- Changi Recommends and the appointed operator will not be responsible for any accidents, loss of property or damage caused by individual negligence
- The e-ticket/e-voucher cannot be exchanged for cash or used on more than one occasion
- Any alteration(s) on the e-ticket/e-voucher will not be accepted by Changi Recommends and the appointed merchant
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances that affects tour departure or ticket/voucher invalidity, customers will be notified and be advised accordingly
- Tours/Experiences are subject to cancellation without prior notice due to unforeseen circumstances, and (or) when there is an official request from the authorities
- Refunds will be provided to customers under the following circumstances:
- No refunds will be entertained for cancellation made 6 days or less prior the departure date
- 50% of the amount will be refunded to customers for cancellation made at least 7 days prior the departure date
- 80% of the amount will be refunded to customers for cancellation made at least 14 days prior the departure date
- There will be no refunds even if included items are not utilised by the visitor
- In the event of latecomers/no show, it would be considered as cancellation and no refund will be entertained
- All amendments are subject to availability
- Additional charges may apply for amendments
Upon completion of purchase, you will receive an email confirmation with e-ticket/e-voucher within two days. Tours and tickets are subject to availability and are not confirmed until a second confirmation email is received.
How to Get There
17 Tryon Street, Rotorua, New Zealand