Northern Explorer (Auckland to Wellington)
Experience the extremes of New Zealand’s scenery, from the fertile farmlands of Waikato to the volcanic peaks of the Central Plateau and the sparkling Kapiti coast.
Hop on the Northern Explorer to Wellington, approximately 10.5 hours from Auckland. The Northern Explorer is New Zealand's longest-running passenger service, and a long-distance scenic train service running between Auckland and Wellington. The fabulous capital is filled with drama: from its quaint hilly setting to its quirky architecture; from headline sports and musicalk events to boutique bars and restaurants; from Parliament to Wellywood, there's nothing quite like Wellington.
- Your seat(s) will be automatically reserved upon booking - no seat selection is allowed
- There is plenty of room for luggage in a secure luggage carriage. You are only permitted to carry on small day bags and handbags. For more information, please click here
- You are permitted to bring your own snacks and non-alcoholic beverages. However, we do ask that you respect other passengers by not bringing anything with a strong odour. There will be a fully licensed café on board that sells nibbles and snacks, hot and cold food, teas and coffees, soft and alcoholic drinks. Please click here for the menu
- For more information on the scenic train route, please click here
The Northern Explorer runs on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays, departing Auckland at 0745hrs. It arrives at Wellington at around 1825hrs.
Check-in commences at 0700hrs and closes 20 minutes before departure at 0725hrs.
What You Get
- One-way scenic train ride from Auckland to Wellington
- Hotel transfers and transportation
- Personal expenses (optional)
How to Use
Please present your voucher at the ticketing office on the day of your train ride.
Terms and Conditions
- Changi Recommends and the appointed operator will not be responsible for any accidents, loss of property or damage caused by individual negligence
- The e-ticket/e-voucher cannot be exchanged for cash or used on more than one occasion
- Any alteration(s) on the e-ticket/e-voucher will not be accepted by Changi Recommends and the appointed merchant
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances that affects tour departure or ticket/voucher invalidity, customers will be notified and be advised accordingly
- Tours/Experiences are subject to cancellation without prior notice due to unforeseen circumstances, and (or) when there is an official request from the authorities
- Refunds will be provided to customers under the following circumstances:
- No refunds will be entertained for cancellation made 6 days or less prior the departure date
- 50% of the amount will be refunded to customers for cancellation made at least 7 days prior the departure date
- 80% of the amount will be refunded to customers for cancellation made at least 14 days prior the departure date
- There will be no refunds even if included items are not utilised by the visitor
- In the event of latecomers/no show, it would be considered as cancellation and no refund will be entertained
- All amendments are subject to availability
- Additional charges may apply for amendments
Upon completion of purchase, you will receive an email confirmation with e-ticket/e-voucher within two days. Tours and tickets are subject to availability and are not confirmed until a second confirmation email is received.
How to Get There
Auckland Strand Station
Parnell, Auckland 1010, New Zealand