Meet nature's most extraordinary seabirds close-up on New Zealand's wild Kaikoura coastline.
Within just a small area, you'll meet one of the greatest varieties of seabirds and pelagic birdlife you'll find anywhere in the world. Kaikoura is renowned worldwide as a birding hotspot, so the few people who get the chance to go out here really savour the experience.
It's just a 15-minute ride out, during which you'll be treated to spectacular views of the stunning Kaikoura Coast. We carry frozen 'chum' (fishy bits) on the boat, sourced naturally from local commercial fishers, that helps to bring the birds in close, allowing very close viewing and photographing opportunities. The discarded offal from the local fishing fleet helps provides a significant portion of the seabirds diet here in Kaikoura.
On-board identification guides, knowledgeable staff and a full species list and souvenir information pack will help you identify and learn more about the birds you see on your trip.
- It’s always a good idea to bring some warm clothing, a hat, sunglasses, and of course a camera with full battery and lots of memory space for those fantastic photo opportunities! A variety of lenses for your camera is an advantage, with the wide angle for close ups and zoom for the more distant shots
- We would recommend the morning tour at 0900hrs, as sea conditions can be calmer and the commercial fisherman usually are out on the ocean which helps attract the seabirds. If possible we like to take advantage of this by stopping near fishing boats as they will often have a good selection of birds waiting around the boat
- If your looking for the best time of year, we advocate the times around seasonal changes - late spring/early summer time of October/November and autumn of March through to May. However, we do see a wide variety of pelagics year round, but can never guarantee specific sightings of individuals as every tour is unique
- Tours last approximately 3.5 hours, from check-in time to the end of the tour; you will spend approximately 2.5 hours at sea
- The success rate for the albatross is very high at around 99%. However, due to weather restrictions such as low fog and hot calm days when flying conditions for the larger birds are not ideal, there are times you might not be able to view the normal array of seabirds. In such situations when tours are affected by fog or sudden weather events, there is a refund policy in place that the operator will share with you on-site
- Children below the age of 3 are not allowed to participate in this activity
0900hrs & 1300hrs daily
What You Get
- Approximately 2.5 hours of albatross encounter out at sea
- Hotel transfers and transportation to and from departure point
- Personal expenses (optional)
How to Use
Please present your voucher to the operator on the day of your encounter.
Terms and Conditions
- Changi Recommends and the appointed operator will not be responsible for any accidents, loss of property or damage caused by individual negligence
- The e-ticket/e-voucher cannot be exchanged for cash or used on more than one occasion
- Any alteration(s) on the e-ticket/e-voucher will not be accepted by Changi Recommends and the appointed merchant
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances that affects tour departure or ticket/voucher invalidity, customers will be notified and be advised accordingly
- Tours/Experiences are subject to cancellation without prior notice due to unforeseen circumstances, and (or) when there is an official request from the authorities
- Refunds will be provided to customers under the following circumstances:
- No refunds will be entertained for cancellation made 6 days or less prior the departure date
- 50% of the amount will be refunded to customers for cancellation made at least 7 days prior the departure date
- 80% of the amount will be refunded to customers for cancellation made at least 14 days prior the departure date
- There will be no refunds even if included items are not utilised by the visitor
- In the event of latecomers/no show, it would be considered as cancellation and no refund will be entertained
- All amendments are subject to availability
- Additional charges may apply for amendments
Upon completion of purchase, you will receive an email confirmation with e-ticket/e-voucher within two days. Tours and tickets are subject to availability and are not confirmed until a second confirmation email is received.
How to Get There
96 Esplanade, Kaikoura 7300