Flying Fox: Heli Hike
The fly-in, fly-out heli hike combines the excitement of walking on the Fox Glacier with the thrill of helicopter flights. By flying in, you can access and explore a part of the glacier where its forces work hardest and often create spectacular ice caves and arches.
The Flying Fox Heli Hike Tour is the perfect combination of thrill and excitement as you ride a helicopter over the pinnacles of the lower icefall and walk on the Fox Glacier. Get an exclusive view of the Victoria Falls, which is the melted river of the hidden Victoria Glacier. By taking a helicopter to your starting destination, you can access and explore the part of the glacier that is untouched by the public; that's where nature works the hardest to create spectacular ice caves and arches. As you hike, learn about the mighty river of ice that runs 12km from New Zealand's highest peaks to the rainforest below.
Each depature is a true voyage of exploration - no tour is the same, with each guide exploring different areas of the glacier and its many changing features. Weather permitting, ice time is up to 3 hours.
- You are strongly recommended to bring along the following (list is not exhaustive):
- 3 - 4 layers of warm upper body clothing (jeans are not recommended on wet days)
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Snacks and warm beverages
- Warm hat and gloves
- Camera *Drones are illegal, please do not bring along*
- To complete your booking, please send an email to email@example.com with your Order Number and Full Name of all tour participants
- Tour group size is small; maximum guide to customer ratio is 1:11
- To better enjoy your Heli Hike experience, a good level of fitness and agility is required. Please be advised to consume your breakfast before the activity as breakfast is not provided
- Pleasae be advised that the availability, route and length of the scenic helicopter flight is highly dependent on weather conditions on the day
- In the unlikely event that the customer takes the flight to the valley and the helicopter is unable to land on the glacier, a 50% refund will be issued by the operator
- Children aged 8 and below are not allowed to participate in this activity due to safety issues
- A minimum of 3 participants is required for the activity to proceed. If the minimum group size is not met, the operator will reach out for a reschedule
- In the event that you are unable to reschedule your activity, you will be provided with a full refund
The activity commences at 08:50am and 11:50am daily all year round
An additional departure time of 02:50pm is available from late September to early April
What You Get
- Return scenic helicopter flight
- Guided tour around the Te Moeka o Tuawe / Fox Glacier with an experienced English-speaking guide
- Some tour essentials: backpack, waterproof jacket, overtrousers, socks, leather boots, crampons, walking poles
- Hotel transfers and transportation to and from check-in location
- Personal expenses (optional)
How to Use
Please present your voucher to the tour operator on the day of your activity.
Terms and Conditions
Upon successful purchase, you will receive an email confirmation with e-ticket/e-voucher within two days. Tours and tickets are subjected to availability and are not confirmed until a second confirmation email is received.
- Changi Recommends and the appointed operator will not be responsible for any accidents, loss of property or damaged caused by individual negligence
- The e-ticket/e-voucher cannot be exchanged for cash or used on more than one occasion
- Any alteration(s) on the-ticket/e-voucher will not be accepted by Changi Recommends and the appointed merchant
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances that affects tour departure or ticket/voucher invalidity, customers will be notified and be advised accordingly
- No refunds will be entertained for cancellations
- There will be no refunds even if included items are not utilised by the visitor
- In the event of late comers/no show, it would be considered as cancellation and no refund will be given
How to Get There
44 Main Road, Fox Glacier, New Zealand