Across the Yangon River, the region of Twante is home to the "Oh-Bo pottery" community.
Your Yangon tour starts with a quick walk through the city’s streets as you head down to the riverside and jetty. There, you’ll travel like a local on a public ferry across the mighty Yangon River. The journey is only 10 minutes long, but it’ll offer up a great view of daily river life, not to mention excellent photo ops!
From here, your Yangon city tour will take you by either private taxi or ‘dyna truck’ (a pick-up truck similar to a songthaew) through the countryside as you head toward the town of Twante, where local potters work with traditional tools and local kilns and materials. Once there, you’ll visit with community artisans and not only see some of their products, but also learn how their work is produced. Fancy getting your hands dirty? Then participate in a literal hands-on lesson as you test out their traditional pottery methods.
Next up, you’re heading up, walking for about 20 minutes uphill to reach Shwesandaw Pagoda, one of the highest pagodas in Myanmar. Take in the fantastic view of the surrounding area and feel 1,000 years of history at your feet.
Hungry? Good, because your next stop is a popular local restaurant that specializes in vegetarian cuisine. The restaurant is situated close to the local market, and you’ll have plenty of time to relax and explore the area.
Finally, your Yangon tour finishes with a return ferry ride, but not before your guide has pointed out a few note-worthy sites on the ride back. Board the boat to re-cross the Yangon River, and head back into downtown Yangon.
- Meet with local pottery artisans and learn about their craft
- Unleash your inner artist by trying your own hands at a traditional pottery creation
- Escape the bustle of downtown Yangon with a ferry ride across the river to explore the area's more traditional communities
- Visit one of the country's highest pagodas, offering stellar views of the countryside
- Get a taste for local flavours with a visit to a popular restaurant and nearby market
Tour Starts Time: 09:00hrs
Duration: 5 Hours
What You Get
- Local English speaking guide
- Transportation via ferry
- Taxi and/or dyna truck
- Items of a personal nature such as souvenirs or extra food and drinks
- Tips or gratuities for your guide
- Transportation to and from your hotel
- What to wear: Dress in Burma (Myanmar) is conservative, so lightweight, long-sleeved clothing is appropriate. Skirts, dresses, and shorts should be knee-length or below. Wear comfortable walking shoes and check the weather before you leave, and come equipped with sunscreen, sunglasses, a hat, and a raincoat if necessary.
- This is a child-friendly tour.
- Children below the age of 6 are not permitted on this tour.
- Meeting Point: In front of Asia Plaza Hotel, 277 Bog Yoke Aung San Road, corner of 38th Street, downtown Yangon.
How To Use
- Present either a printed or mobile voucher for this activity
- This voucher is only valid on the date and time specified
Terms and Conditions
- Changi Recommends and the appointed operator will not be responsible for any accidents, loss of property or damaged caused by individual negligence
- The e-ticket/e-voucher cannot be exchanged for cash or used on more than one occasion
- Any alteration(s) on the e-ticket/e-voucher will not be accepted by Changi Recommends and the appointed merchant
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances that affects tour departure or ticket/voucher invalidity, customers will be notified and be advised accordingly
- Tours/Experiences subject to cancellation without prior notice due to unforeseen circumstances, and (or) when there is an official request from the authorities
- Refunds will be given to customers under these circumstances:
- No refunds will be entertained for cancellation made 6 days or less prior the departure date
- There will be no refunds even if included items are not utilised by the visitor
- In the event of late comers/no show, it would be considered as cancellation and no refund will be given
- All amendments are subject to availability
- Additional charges may apply for amendments
Upon purchase of the ticket, you will receive an email confirmation with e-ticket/e-voucher within two days. Tours and tickets are subjected to availability and are not confirmed until a second confirmation email is received.