Join us on this morning tour of Mandalay, covering monasteries, pagodas, and a revered Buddha statue that locals and tourists like to shower in gold.
We will meet at 08:00 and take a drive through Mandalay, an attractive, low-rise centre that still feels like more of a big village than a city. Our first stop will be the old teak monastery of Shwe Inn Pin, which stands out in this area unusually because it is not made from gold. Housing over 30 monks, here you will admire impressive works of Burmese art and intricate wood carvings.
After viewing images of Buddha at Shwe Inn Pin, prepare to meet God himself. Well, almost. Mahanyatmuni is the grandest pagoda in town and home to one of only five Buddha likenesses that were made during his lifetime. The Buddha statue is covered in gold and locals are encouraged to add a gold leaf for luck. He is now so overloaded with the stuff that he is starting to lose his shape. Once you’re done covering the deity in gold, we will head off to a gold leaf making factory to find out how it is made.
There are lots of kiosks leading up to the main shrine, where you can stop for souvenirs like incense and rosary beads and sample some of the tasty street food snacks before we leave for the factory. More incredible architecture and scenery abounds as we take you to the royal palace sitting in the middle of a lake.
Then it’s on to famous Kuthodaw, where you can gaze in wonder at a series of stunning stupas built to house a vast library of tablets inscribed with the sacred scriptures of Theravada Buddhism. You will feel like a 21st-century Indiana Jones, solving ancient riddles on the marble tablets. Then it’s back to the city, where your guide can recommend the very best places in town to sample scented broths and spicy noodles.
- Meet local artisans and learn the ancient secrets of stone carving and gold leaf making
- Add more bling to Buddha and place your gold leaf on his body for good luck
- Visit the amazing Shwe Inn Pin, a remarkable wooden monastery that houses incredible art
- Channel the spirit of the Da Vinci Code as you try and read the ancient scriptures of Theravada Buddhism
Tour Starts Time: 08:00hrs
Duration: 5 Hours
What You Get
- Tea and water
- Local English-speaking guide
- Food and additional drinks
- Entrance fees
- Souvenirs and personal shopping
- Tips or gratuities for your guide
- What to wear: As we will visit a religious pagoda, please wear clothing that covers your shoulders and knees.
- This is a child-friendly tour.
- Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge.
- Meeting Point: Oway Grand Hotel, No.624, 78th Street. Between 30th 31st Street, Central Mandalay.
How To Use
- Present either a printed or mobile voucher for this activity
- This voucher is only valid on the date and time specified
Terms and Conditions
- Changi Recommends and the appointed operator will not be responsible for any accidents, loss of property or damaged caused by individual negligence
- The e-ticket/e-voucher cannot be exchanged for cash or used on more than one occasion
- Any alteration(s) on the e-ticket/e-voucher will not be accepted by Changi Recommends and the appointed merchant
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances that affects tour departure or ticket/voucher invalidity, customers will be notified and be advised accordingly
- Tours/Experiences subject to cancellation without prior notice due to unforeseen circumstances, and (or) when there is an official request from the authorities
- Refunds will be given to customers under these circumstances:
- No refunds will be entertained for cancellation made 6 days or less prior the departure date
- There will be no refunds even if included items are not utilised by the visitor
- In the event of late comers/no show, it would be considered as cancellation and no refund will be given
- All amendments are subject to availability
- Additional charges may apply for amendments
Upon purchase of the ticket, you will receive an email confirmation with e-ticket/e-voucher within two days. Tours and tickets are subjected to availability and are not confirmed until a second confirmation email is received.