Take a scenic hike through the ancient, mystical woods surrounding the pristine Lake Onneto, famous for its stunning colors. Along the way, you'll pause for a coffee break in gorgeous surroundings. Relax and admire all the natural beauty around you!
Gear up for a picturesque hike through a forest at the base of the volcanic Mt. Meakan, one of the well-known peaks in Hokkaido’s Akan-Mashu National Park. You’ll be treated to views of the small but strikingly beautiful Lake Onneto.
Start by meeting your tour group at Tsuruga Adventure Base SIRI. Together, you’ll head for the forest. Prepare for the hike with an orientation and warm-up stretches, and let the fun begin! Wander through the woods, and marvel at the beauty all around you. Formed after a volcanic eruption, the ancient forest surrounding Lake Onneto boasts a wealth of flora and fauna, including trees that have thrived for centuries and alpine plants.
Be sure to take a camera with you to capture this hike’s star attraction: Lake Onneto. Reputed for its beauty, this lake is the area’s best-kept secret! Though small, Lake Onneto is often described as gem-like. It’s known as the “five-colored marsh” because its pristine waters change colors depending on the time of the day and the season.You might be lucky enough to catch its waters mysteriously changing from one shade of blue or green to another: deep blue, emerald green, and so on.
In winter when Lake Onneto freezes, ripples of ice, cracks, and frozen air pockets form on its surface, giving the lake a mirror-like appearance. Some locals say that it looks as if a white dragon god is swimming through the lake!
No matter when you join this hike, you’re guaranteed breathtaking views: lush greenery in spring and summer, colorful leaves in autumn, and a pure-white snowscape in winter. Throughout your hike, and even during your relaxing coffee break, take in all the wonder around you!
- 08:30 — Meet your guide at Tsuruga Adventure Base SIRI; depart for hike
- 09:00 — Arrive at the forest; orientation and stretching exercises; hike starts (break during the hike)
- 12:00 — Return to Tsuruga Adventure Base SIRI; tour ends
This activity is available May 1–November 30, daily
Time: 8.30 am
What You Get
Lake Onneto Hiking Tour
Adult/Child: Age 6 and above (Age 13 and above during winter)
- English-speaking guide
- Hiking tour of Lake Onneto
- Trekking pole (winter only)
- Snowshoes (winter only)
- Food and drink
- Weatherproof footwear
- Weatherproof jacket
- Weatherproof pants
- This tour requires at least 2 participants
- From spring to autumn, guests aged 6 or older may participate in the tour
- In winter, guests aged 13 or older may participate in the tour
- The tour may be canceled in the event of bad weather
- The course of the tour may change midway due to sudden weather changes
- Guests must be in good enough physical condition to participate in the tour
- Guests dressed inadequately for the weather may be refused participation
- Intoxicated guests may not participate
- In winter, snowshoes and trekking poles will be provided
- Weatherproof footwear, jackets, and pants are available for rent in limited quantities and sizes; please inform us in advance if you wish to rent anything, and pay on-site
- The trek includes time for a break; please bring your own food and drinks
- Binoculars are highly recommended to enjoy the tour
Terms and Conditions
- Changi Recommends and the appointed operator will not be responsible for any accidents, loss of property or damaged caused by individual negligence
- The e-ticket/e-voucher cannot be exchanged for cash or used on more than one occasion
- Any alteration(s) on the e-ticket/e-voucher will not be accepted by Changi Recommends and the appointed merchant
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances that affects tour departure or ticket/voucher invalidity, customers will be notified and be advised accordingly
- No refunds will be entertained for cancellations
- There will be no refunds even if included items are not utilised by the visitor
- In the event of late comers/no show, it would be considered as cancellation and no refund will be given
Upon purchase of the ticket, you will receive an email confirmation with e-ticket/e-voucher within two days. Tours and tickets are subjected to availability and are not confirmed until a second confirmation email is received.
How to Get There
Tsuruga Adventure Base SIRI, on the 1st floor of Lake Akan Tsuruga Wings Hotel
Akan Lakeside, Kushiro City, Hokkaido Prefecture