With a guide, enjoy and experience nature’s sanctuary: Kamikochi. Connect with magnificent nature as you walk towards Kamikochi’s popular landmarks and appreciate its otherworldly beauty.
A place of extraordinary natural beauty, Chubusangaku National Park boasts numerous locations that offer close encounters with nature. Of these spots, Kamikochi is the star attraction, raking in over a million visitors each year. Kamikochi enjoys tremendous popularity owing to its otherworldly, breathtaking scenery: verdant forests, a towering volcano, and the azure waters of the picture-perfect Azusa River — all set against the backdrop of the snow-kissed Northern Japan Alps. Kamikochi’s natural jewels remain undeveloped and undisturbed, left alone to naturally flourish. Besides being a prime example of Japan’s reverence for the environment, Kamikochi embodies the divine, magnificent workings of nature.
On this walking tour, you’ll get better acquainted with Kamikochi. The area is the starting point for some of the best mountain hikes, but the terrain filled with noteworthy attractions is just as excellent for long walks. You’ll take the easiest — but no less scenic — course, led by an English-speaking guide who will show you the best of Kamikochi. By learning interesting facts and gaining more insights, you’ll leave with a better understanding and appreciation of the area.
On the afternoon route, you will first draw natural water from Shimizu river to hydrate yourself. Thereafter, your first stop will be Tashiro bridge which uou'll cross to walk to Tashiro Pond. Along the way, see sights like: marshes, clear streams, and vegetation. Troops of monkeys also roam the area, so look out for them!
Formed by volcanic activity, Taisho Pond’s waters originally flowed from Azusa River, before the eruption of the nearby Mt. Yakedake blocked the river flow and created the pond. You’ll find waters that are just as clear as those of Taisho Pond. Though small in size and rather shallow, Tashiro Pond’s most attractive quality is that it does not freeze in the height of winter. Rather, it continues to reflect the stunning mountain views.
Finally, refuel with a 40-minute break with delicious matcha green tea. Pair your cup of tea with delicious Japanese sweets for a delightful teatime treat. Your tour ends here.
- 13:00 — Meet at Kamikochi Visitor Center; draw water from the Shimizu River
- 13:10 — Walk to Tashiro Bridge
- 13:50 — Walk to Tashiro Pond
- 14:20 — Walk to Taisho Pond and see Mt. Yakedake
- 14:50 — Break; have matcha green tea and Japanese sweets
- 15:30 — Tour ends at Taisho Pond
1pm to 3.30pm
What You Get
Kamikochi Scenic Walking Tour (Morning Route)
Adult: 12 years old and above
Child: 6 to 11 years old
- English-speaking guide
- Walking tour
- Snacks (matcha green tea and Japanese sweets)
- Personal expenses
- This tour requires a minimum of 2 participants
- This tour is open to guests of all ages
- Participants must be in good physical condition
- Infants aged 0–5 may join free of charge
- Children aged 0–11 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian
- If we have to cancel the tour due to inclement weather, we’ll inform you the day before to refund or reschedule
- Kamikochi is a mountainous area, and is prone to sudden weather changes. The trail may also be wet or muddy, so please prepare accordingly
- Except public holidays, this tour is available from May 12–November 20, every Tuesday
- Only 2 or 3 buses per hour run to Kamikochi Bus Terminal. Please plan ahead so that you may arrive on time for the tour.
- Private cars are allowed only as far as the Sawando Parking Area or the Hirayu Parking Area near Kamikochi
Terms and Conditions
- Changi Recommends and the appointed operator will not be responsible for any accidents, loss of property or damaged caused by individual negligence
- The e-ticket/e-voucher cannot be exchanged for cash or used on more than one occasion
- Any alteration(s) on the e-ticket/e-voucher will not be accepted by Changi Recommends and the appointed merchant
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances that affects tour departure or ticket/voucher invalidity, customers will be notified and be advised accordingly
- No refunds will be entertained for cancellations
- There will be no refunds even if included items are not utilised by the visitor
- In the event of late comers/no show, it would be considered as cancellation and no refund will be given
Upon purchase of the ticket, you will receive an email confirmation with e-ticket/e-voucher within two days. Tours and tickets are subjected to availability and are not confirmed until a second confirmation email is received.
How to Get There
Meet in front of Kamikochi Visitor Center
- 10 minutes on foot from Kamikochi Bus Terminal
- Please note that the Visitor Center is not the Information Center; they are different