Central Java has been the epicentre of power in Indonesia ever since ancient mystic Hinduism and Buddhism arrived along with the traders and explorers from South Asia. A king named Sri Sanjaya established the kingdom of Mataram, and that became the seat of power for the Sanjaya dynasty. Many Hindu monuments were built to honour the king, such as the Prambanan complex and other small temples that still can be found around Central Java. One of those small temples is the hidden temple known as “Selogriyo”, located about 30km from Borobudhur temple by car, passing through Javanese villages and rice fields. There’s lots of beautiful scenery to be admired in the morning, complemented by sporting activities planned on this half-day excursion.
Start the trekking from the small village, where locals living nearby will come to greet you. Get to know them, enjoy some small discussions about their daily activities, harvest time, etc. A local guide will accompany you as you explore the picturesque terraced rice fields. Then, after a 2km walk framed by mountains and rice paddies, you will get to the main gate of the temple. The temple is then reached after climbing about 200 steps.
A peaceful place, surrounded by a graceful natural environment!
- A great spot, off the beaten track
- Dedicated guide with good knowledge in history and culture
- Combinable with Borobudur or village activity in Candirejo in the afternoon
- Get in touch with local people
What you will do
- Depart from Magelang or Yogyakarta hotel, then you will stop in the last village situated a bit further up on the hill, nearest to the temple. A local guide is assigned to lead the trip. Crossing the rice paddy fields and lush vegetation, there is a chance that you will meet some farmers working on their fields. You can stop and chat, before going up to the hill to find the gate of the hidden temple.
- From the temple area, you will be rewarded with views of Mount Sumbing shrouded in mist to the west, and green terraces and mountain peaks beyond in the east. The temple itself is small and ornate; it can be seen in only 20 minutes, but is well worth the trip.
Terms and Conditions
- Changi Recommends and the appointed operator will not be responsible for any accidents, loss of property or damaged caused by individual negligence
- The e-ticket/e-voucher cannot be exchanged for cash or used on more than one occasion
- Any alteration(s) on the e-ticket/e-voucher will not be accepted by Changi Recommends and the appointed merchant
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances that affects tour departure or ticket/voucher invalidity, customers will be notified and be advised accordingly
- Tours/Experiences subject to cancellation without prior notice due to unforeseen circumstances, and (or) when there is an official request from the authorities
- Refunds will be given to customers under these circumstances:
- No refunds will be entertained for cancellation made 4 days or less prior the departure date
- There will be no refunds even if included items are not utilised by the visitor
- In the event of late comers/no show, it would be considered as cancellation and no refund will be given
- All amendments are subject to availability
- Additional charges may apply for amendments
Upon purchase of the ticket, you will receive an email confirmation with e-ticket/e-voucher within two days. Tours and tickets are subjected to availability and are not confirmed until a second confirmation email is received.