Discover hidden gems along Bintan Island’s pristine eastern coastline. Located on the North-Eastern tip of Bintan Island north of Trikora Coast, Panglong Village, Berakit is home to the largest community of sea gypsies in Bintan. Also commonly referred to as Orang Laut, the sea gypsies are sea nomads who dedicate their lives at sea. At this rustic village, discover the unique way of life of the sea gypsies carried down for generations over hundreds of years. Travel back in time as the labyrinth of stilt houses throw up an interesting peek into the lifestyle of the inhabitants.
Currently, even though most sea gypsies have now moved to live on land, most of the them still heavily depend on the sea to make a livelihood – fishing and selling their catch of the day along with other homemade produce such as dried seafood and deep-fried seafood crackers (keropok).
Approximately 20 minutes away from the pearly sands of Trikora Coast, lies a serene pilgrimage spot known as the Grotto Santa Maria. From the entrance, the trail starts with the ’14 Stations of the Cross’, depicting the story of Jesus Christ’s crucifixion in limestone statues, leads up to a beautifully preserved statue of Virgin Mary in a cave, beside a quaint little chapel. The chapel comes to life on Sundays as devotees gather with song and prayer during mass sessions.
Your tour then presents you with breath taking views of the Trikora Coast lined with kelongs (floating fishing platforms), wooden huts and traditional boat builders. Lunch is served at the popular Pizza Casa Italia, run by an Italian family, where crispy thin wood-fired pizzas are sure to leave plates empty in seconds. Before concluding the tour, make your way to Kawal for some flavourful barbequed Otak Otak, the perfect after-lunch snack.
- 09:00am - Pick-up from Hotel
- 10:00am - Arrive at Panglong Village, visit local houses, charcoal kiln, mosque and church
- 11:00am - Visit traditional boat maker
- 11:30am - Visit Grotto Santa Maria (lime-stone carvings of the last days of Christ)
- 12:15pm - Italian Pizza lunch at Trikora beach
- 01:00pm - Visit Kawal, pass by kelong and fishing villages; sample otak otak
- 02:00pm - Transfer back to Hotel
- 03:00pm - Arrive at Hotel
Terms and Conditions
- Changi Recommends and the appointed operator will not be responsible for any accidents, loss of property or damaged caused by individual negligence
- The e-ticket/e-voucher cannot be exchanged for cash or used on more than one occasion
- Any alteration(s) on the e-ticket/e-voucher will not be accepted by Changi Recommends and the appointed merchant
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances that affects tour departure or ticket/voucher invalidity, customers will be notified and be advised accordingly
- Tours/Experiences subject to cancellation without prior notice due to unforeseen circumstances, and (or) when there is an official request from the authorities
- Refunds will be given to customers under these circumstances:
- No refunds will be entertained for cancellation made 6 days or less prior the departure date
- 50% of the amount will be refunded to customers for cancellation made at least 7 days prior the departure date
- 80% of the amount will be refunded to customers for cancellation made at least 14 days prior the departure date
- There will be no refunds even if included items are not utilised by the visitor
- In the event of late comers/no show, it would be considered as cancellation and no refund will be given
- All amendments are subject to availability
- Additional charges may apply for amendments
Upon purchase of the ticket, you will receive an email confirmation with e-ticket/e-voucher within two days. Tours and tickets are subjected to availability and are not confirmed until a second confirmation email is received.