Take a tour of the Dachau Memorial Site on a day trip from Munich and explore the camp with a highly experienced Memorial-qualified guide. Dachau was the first permanent concentration camp built by Nazi Germany and the model for the others that followed.
The Dachau Concentration Camp was the first permanent camp and the only one to exist for the full 12 years of Adolf Hitler's rule. It was opened on 22 March 1933, only 2 months after Hitler’s rise to power and was liberated on 29 April 1945.
On this 4-hour tour, a highly experienced and Memorial-qualified guide will provide detailed commentary on all aspects of camp life and death for the hundreds of thousands of prisoners that passed through the gates from 1933-1945:
- Why the camp was opened and the first prisoners to arrive
- The 3 phases of the Camp, and its evolution and development
- S.S. Training Facility – the School of Terror
- Jourhaus, the entrance building and gateway into the camp, with its infamous sign Arbeit Macht Frei (work will set you free)
- Appellplatz, the roll call square
- Memorial Site Museum in the former maintenance building
- Registration of new prisoners and their categorization
- Torture and punishment, both physical and psychological
- The Bunker, the prison within the camp
- Bunker Courtyard for both torture and execution
- Barracks, prisoner life and daily routine
- Camp perimeter fence and guard towers
- Barrack X – 2 crematoriums, mass graves, and the gas chamber
- The Nandor Glid sculpture and religious memorials
Dachau’s importance as a center for education and remembrance makes this a day that is impossible to forget.
Your tour includes round-trip travel from Munich by public transportation. After the tour the guide will return with your group to the Marienplatz meeting point, arriving at approximately 16:45.
- Tour duration is 6 hours, which includes a 4-hour visit inside the camp and 2 hours’ travel time
- Unfortunately, children aged 13 or under are not permitted on this tour. Children aged 14 and over are welcome on the basis that parents attend the tour with their child and that they understand the graphic nature of the tour content
- Kindly note that although the guides have extensive experience guiding younger visitors, the Memorial Site guidelines indicate that some of the exhibits and themes are not suitable for those under the age of 14
Terms and Conditions
- Changi Recommends and the appointed operator will not be responsible for any accidents, loss of property or damaged caused by individual negligence
- The e-ticket/e-voucher cannot be exchanged for cash or used on more than one occasion
- Any alteration(s) on the e-ticket/e-voucher will not be accepted by Changi Recommends and the appointed merchant
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances that affects tour departure or ticket/voucher invalidity, customers will be notified and be advised accordingly
- No refunds will be entertained for cancellations
- There will be no refunds even if included items are not utilised by the visitor
- In the event of late comers/no show, it would be considered as cancellation and no refund will be given
Upon purchase of the ticket, you will receive an email confirmation with e-ticket/e-voucher within two days. Tours and tickets are subjected to availability and are not confirmed until a second confirmation email is received.