Join us in this eye-opening tour of a less renowned part of the magnificent Istanbul, it's Greek Orthodox quarter.
Join us in this eye-opening tour of a less renowned part of the magnificent Istanbul, it's Greek Orthodox quarter. The name of the district, Fener, is a slight deformation of the Greek word Fanari, which means 'lantern' or 'lighthouse'. Fener was a prominent part of town predominantly inhabited by Turkey's Greek Orthodox minority, and it continued like that up to the beginning of the 20th century.
It is in this curious neighbourhood that the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople lives; he is the highest authority of the Eastern Orthodox communion. The locals are known as Phanariotes and in times of old, they used to dominate the administration of the patriarchate. On this walk, you will learn all about the story of the Phanariotes who served as guides, dragomans and interpreters to the stiff upper lips of the Ottoman government and foreign embassies on diplomatic trips.
This tour will take you to some fascinating corners of the district, such as a functioning Byzantine Church and the only church made entirely of iron and steel in the world talk about a couple of sights to not miss. Every single house, pavement, palace and overall structure that you may come across in this area is currently being preserved by a Unesco project that was implemented successfully over the last decade. You will finish the day with a more complete big picture of the multicultural variety that inhabits the beautiful city of Istanbul.
- Visit Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople
- Visit Red School (Istanbul Fatih Ozel Fener Rum Lisesi)
- Visit the Church of Panaghia Muhliotissa
Tour Start Time: 08:00hrs
Duration: 4 Hours
What You Get
- What to bring: The voucher and valid photo ID.
- Infants 0-2 years carried free of charge.
- Child Price: 3-7 years
- Pick-up Service is available only in a hotel located in Sultanahmet, Aksaray, Sirkeci, Beyazıt and TAKSIM areas. Outside these areas pick-up service is unavailable.
- Please be ready 15 minutes before pick up. Please meet at the hotel's main entrance, lobby or reception.
- Drop-Off: Tour ends at Istanbul Rum Ortodoks Patrikhanesi.
How To Use
- Present either a printed or mobile voucher for this activity
- This voucher is only valid on the date and time specified
How To Buy
- After purchase, kindly email the following details to email@example.com:
Terms and Conditions
- Changi Recommends and the appointed operator will not be responsible for any accidents, loss of property or damaged caused by individual negligence
- The e-ticket/e-voucher cannot be exchanged for cash or used on more than one occasion
- Any alteration(s) on the e-ticket/e-voucher will not be accepted by Changi Recommends and the appointed merchant
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances that affects tour departure or ticket/voucher invalidity, customers will be notified and be advised accordingly
- Tours/Experiences subject to cancellation without prior notice due to unforeseen circumstances, and (or) when there is an official request from the authorities
- Refunds will be given to customers under these circumstances:
- No refunds will be entertained for cancellation made 6 days or less prior the departure date
- There will be no refunds even if included items are not utilised by the visitor
- In the event of late comers/no show, it would be considered as cancellation and no refund will be given
- All amendments are subject to availability
- Additional charges may apply for amendments
Upon purchase of the ticket, you will receive an email confirmation with e-ticket/e-voucher within two days. Tours and tickets are subjected to availability and are not confirmed until a second confirmation email is received.