Lose yourself in the colourful and vibrant streets of Balat, a traditional Jewish quarter located on the European side of Istanbul by the western bank of the Golden Horn. The photogenic old streets of Balat, one of Istanbul's Jewish districts, await participants in this stimulating four-hour walking tour.
Get away from the tourist crowds and some of the city's more congested zones to explore an authentic Turkish neighbourhood, which is home not only to a well-established Jewish community but also thriving populations of Greeks and Armenians. Synagogues, Armenian churches, Romaic churches, Byzantine remnants and holy springs, known as ayazmas, all vie for the visitor's attention.
Although it could once boast seven synagogues, Balat now has only two in good condition. These are Ahrida Synagogue, one of the oldest in Istanbul, and the Yanbol Synagogue, first built by Jews from Yambol in Bulgaria. The Bulgarian Orthodox church of St. Stephen of the Bulgars, also known as the Bulgarian Iron Church, is famous for being one of the few churches in the world to be made of cast iron. The prefabricated parts, weighing 500 tons, were produced in Vienna and transported to Istanbul by ship through the Danube and the Black Sea.
See the ruins of the Byzantine palace known as Tekfur Saray, a 13th-century monument and one of the few major surviving examples of Byzantine secular architecture anywhere in the world. Discover a melting pot of cultures and religions on this intriguing tour of modern-day Balat.
- Enjoy colourful and vibrant streets of Balat
- Explore an authentic Turkish neighbourhood
- Visit Synagogues, Armenian churches, Romaic churches, Byzantine remnants and holy springs
- Visit Byzantine palace known as Tekfur Saray
- Discover a melting pot of cultures and religions
- Visit Yambol Synagogue
- Visit Ahrida Synagogue
- View Bulgarian St. Stephen Church
- Visit Palace of the Porphyrogenitus
Tour Start Time: 13:00hrs
Duration: 4 Hours
What You Get
- Infants 0-2 years carried free of charge.
- Child Price: 3-7 years
- Pick-up Service is available only in a hotel located in Sultanahmet, Aksaray, Sirkeci, Beyazt and Taksim areas. Outside these areas pick-up service is unavailable.
How To Use
- Present either a printed or mobile voucher for this activity
- This voucher is only valid on the date and time specified
How To Buy
- After purchase, kindly email the following details to firstname.lastname@example.org:
Terms and Conditions
- Changi Recommends and the appointed operator will not be responsible for any accidents, loss of property or damaged caused by individual negligence
- The e-ticket/e-voucher cannot be exchanged for cash or used on more than one occasion
- Any alteration(s) on the e-ticket/e-voucher will not be accepted by Changi Recommends and the appointed merchant
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances that affects tour departure or ticket/voucher invalidity, customers will be notified and be advised accordingly
- Tours/Experiences subject to cancellation without prior notice due to unforeseen circumstances, and (or) when there is an official request from the authorities
- Refunds will be given to customers under these circumstances:
- No refunds will be entertained for cancellation made 6 days or less prior the departure date
- There will be no refunds even if included items are not utilised by the visitor
- In the event of late comers/no show, it would be considered as cancellation and no refund will be given
- All amendments are subject to availability
- Additional charges may apply for amendments
Upon purchase of the ticket, you will receive an email confirmation with e-ticket/e-voucher within two days. Tours and tickets are subjected to availability and are not confirmed until a second confirmation email is received.