- Explore the ancient Basilica Cistern, first designed to service the Great Palace in the 4th century
- See amazing Byzantine artworks, including hundreds of illuminated columns and Medusa heads
- Get the facts about the cistern from your guide - and don't forget to look out for the fish!
From ancient wonders to Hollywood movie stars, the Basilica Cistern has seen it all. Come explore the sunken movie location and the largest (and most atmospheric) of several hundred ancient cisterns that lie hidden beneath the city of Istanbul.
Built in 532, this underground cistern is one that Tom Hanks knows well. He was down here filming the adaptation of Dan Brown's thriller Inferno in 2016. It was also featured in the James Bond movie From Russia with Love. Hollywood producers were clearly captivated by the atmosphere of this ancient place, and now you can experience it yourself.
Walk along the raised platforms and soak up the sights - without soaking up any of the water! You'll be standing safe and dry among 336 illuminated marble and granite columns. The Byzantine architecture down here has stood the test of time (and a lot of tourists).
See the different building materials used across different eras, and don't miss the two creepy Medusa heads at the base of the columns. Less creepy are the carp! The shallow waters make a perfect home for these fish to thrive.
Terms and Conditions
- Changi Recommends and the appointed operator will not be responsible for any accidents, loss of property or damaged caused by individual negligence
- The e-ticket/e-voucher cannot be exchanged for cash or used on more than one occasion
- Any alteration(s) on the e-ticket/e-voucher will not be accepted by Changi Recommends and the appointed merchant
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances that affects tour departure or ticket/voucher invalidity, customers will be notified and be advised accordingly
- No refunds will be entertained for cancellations
- There will be no refunds even if included items are not utilised by the visitor
- In the event of late comers/no show, it would be considered as cancellation and no refund will be given
Upon purchase of the ticket, you will receive an email confirmation with e-ticket/e-voucher within two days. Tours and tickets are subjected to availability and are not confirmed until a second confirmation email is received.