Quirky, charming, and creative are the words used to describe Chiang Rai by travellers and locals alike. The sights to be found here are by no means anything like the ones you’ll see in Chiang Mai, the city’s more popular sister.
Before we begin temple sightseeing, we’ll break up the long drive at the Mae Khachan Hot Spring to relax, dip our feet in the steaming mineral water, maybe eat a snack, or walk around the surrounding gardens.
We’ll then move on to the main attraction: the White Temple. If you’re looking for ancient ruins, you might be surprised to find a modern architectural masterpiece designed and built by local artist Chaloemchai Khositphiphat. He was rumoured to have spent over THB 40 million of his own money to create this unconventional art exhibit to gain immortal life! After exploring this local wonder, we’ll have a quick lunch before heading to our next stop.
The Blue Temple or Wat Rong Seua Ten literally translates to ‘temple of the dancing tiger.’ It was built on a site where tigers were said to have jumped over the river.
If the White Temple was meant to be a stairway to heaven, the Black House has been called a “dark, mysterious, and almost sadistic” representation of hell, complete with preserved animals and a collection of bones.
Built by Thailand national artist Thawan Duchanee (who incidentally was the mentor of Chaloemchai, the White Temple guy), the Baan dam Museum (Black House) is a cluster of nearly 40 small shadowy structures exhibiting art dating back to the Ayutthaya period. This is truly something the likes of which we’ll never see anywhere else!
- 07:00am - Pick-up from Hotel
- 07:45am - Departure from Meeting Point
- 08:30am - Break at a hot spring in the Mae Kitchen area
- 11:00am - White Temple (Wat Rong Koon)
- 12:00pm - Lunch
- 01:30pm - Blue Temple (Wat Rong Sua-Tent)
- 03:00pm - Bann Dam (Black House)
- 07:00pm - Return to Meeting Point/Hotel
Tour Duration: 07:00am - 07:00pm (approx. 12 hours)
What You Get
- Pick-up and Drop-off from Hotel (within free pick-up area)
- Transportation throughout by Air-conditioned Vehicle
- Tour Guide (English-speaking)
- Entrance Fees (White Temple, Black House & Blue Temple)
- Bottled Water
- Things to bring: Clothing that covers arms and legs (for temples), Comfortable shoes, Camera, Sun protection, Mosquito repellent
- Free pick-up and drop-off only for customers located in the central city of Chiang Mai and the surrounding areas of the Old City Wall in Chiang Mai Province including Chang Klan Road, Thapae Road, Wualai Road in zones of the Night Bazaar, Lam Yai Market (Kad Luang), Sunti Tham, Nimmanhaemin Road, Super Highway Road from Rin Come Square to Kuang Sing Square pass road, Arkhet Transfer Station, Railway station and Chiang Mai Airport, Areas within 2km from the city area (Muang District)
- The driver will contact you the evening before your activity date to confirm the exact time. Please be at the lobby 5 minutes before the pick-up time provided
- If your hotel is outside of the free pick-up area (mentioned above), the designated meeting point is the Thapae Gate in Chiang Mai Old City. *Please be at the designated meeting point 5 minutes before the pick-up time provided
- You will be joined together with a small group of max. 5-8 people for this tour
How To Use
- Present either a printed or mobile voucher to the driver to verify before proceeding to board the vehicle
- If your hotel is within the free pick-up area, the driver will contact you the evening before your activity date to confirm the exact time. Please be at the lobby 5 minutes before the pick-up time provided.
- If your hotel is outside the free pick-up area, the designated meeting point is at the Thapae Gate in Chiang Mai Old City. Please arrive at least 5 minutes before the pick-up time provided in the itinerary
How To Buy
- After purchase, kindly email the following details to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Full Name
- Number of Pax
- Hotel Name
- Contact No