Discover the rural and historical East Algarve on this tour. This is the forgotten and unseen Algarve on the border with Spain.
Take a closer look at Vila Real de Santo António, a city founded in 1774, right in the middle of the Enlightenment, with a replica of the street layout of central Lisbon after the 1755 earthquake. Visit the central area, a shopper's paradise, with traditional small stores and terraces. The region was always associated with fishing and is very proud of its rich gastronomy, with famous dishes made from tuna, a long-established tradition. After this, board a ferry to cross the tranquil Guadiana River to Ayamonte, in Spain, on the opposite bank. Make a stop in Castro Marim, one of the oldest communities in the Algarve, and an important center of Arab power until 1242. Discover how its strategic position on the border and the need to repel the Moorish attacks from North Africa led to the construction of the impressive Castle, Fort, and City Walls.
Then, follow the verdant hills bordering the Guadiana River to reach Alcoutim for a visit to the 16th-century castle. Stroll through the immaculate gardens and soak up the impressive views of the whitewashed houses, villages and the river below. As you walk, listen to a myriad of legends involving the castle including those of brave knights and beautiful Moorish princesses frustrated by love who became enchanted. Learn other secrets about this region including the smuggling which took place across the rocky banks of the Guadiana. Hear about how this led to the city forging close ties with the Andalusian people on the left bank. Find secret off the beaten path places as you discover the Algarve that others do not know about.
- The tour is private and is led by your personal driver/guide
- Pickup and drop-off are only offered in Olhão, Tavira, and Cabanas de Tavira
- The tour is done by car/minivan. Cars hold up to 4 people and minivans hold 5- 7 people
- During the tour, stops will be made according to the itinerary
- Tour duration can be shortened upon your request
- Your guide will be happy to help you to buy souvenirs during the tour. It is strictly prohibited for guides to take any commission from the shops
- After purchase, please email email@example.com to arrange your pickup. Include your order number and chosen pickup point in the email
Terms and Conditions
- Changi Recommends and the appointed operator will not be responsible for any accidents, loss of property or damage caused by individual negligence
- The e-ticket/e-voucher cannot be exchanged for cash or used on more than one occasion
- Any alteration(s) on the e-ticket/e-voucher will not be accepted by Changi Recommends and the appointed merchant
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances that affects tour departure or ticket/voucher invalidity, customers will be notified and be advised accordingly
- Tours/Experiences subject to cancellation without prior notice due to unforeseen circumstances, and (or) when there is an official request from the authorities
- Refunds will be given to customers under these circumstances:
- No refunds will be entertained for cancellation made 6 days or less prior the departure date
- 50% of the amount will be refunded to customers for cancellation made at least 7 days prior the departure date
- 80% of the amount will be refunded to customers for cancellation made at least 14 days prior the departure date
- There will be no refunds even if included items are not utilised by the visitor
- In the event of late comers/no show, it would be considered as cancellation and no refund will be given
- All amendments are subject to availability
- Additional charges may apply for amendments
Upon purchase of the ticket, you will receive an email confirmation with e-ticket/e-voucher within two days. Tours and tickets are subjected to availability and are not confirmed until a second confirmation email is received.