Funchal: Old Town Walking Tour
Learn about the history of Funchal and Madeira on a guided walk through the city’s medieval center. Visit the farmer's market, the Campo Almirante Reis, the Fortress of St. James, and a number of other sites as your guide provides commentary.
Meet your guide at Naturalmente Português - History Tellers in La Vie Shopping Centre to begin this 2-hour guided walking tour of Funchal. Learn how the history of Madeira and Funchal shaped the city centre as you visit the most important points of interest.
Travel down the 19th century public walkway between the Municipal Theatre and the Cathedral, where sugarcane was first planted in Madeira, during the 15th century.
Explore the city’s medieval heart dating from the Golden Age of Sugar and discover the beautiful 17th century religious monuments.
Visit the ruins of the old Pilory Square and other remnants from past floods and the area damaged by the Great Fire of Funchal in 1584. This tour helps to support students at the University of Madeira who are facing financial difficulties.
- Your walking tour will be guided by a former university student or European volunteer that is participating in the Erasmus+ program History Tellers project, developed at the University of Madeira. This project has an important solidarity component
- Be sure to wear comfortable shoes
The History Tellers tours are 2 hours long, starting at 10:00 AM, 12:00 PM, 2:00 PM, or 4:00 PM, Monday to Friday.
What You Get
How to Use
- Kindly present a printed or mobile copy of your voucher at the location
Terms and Conditions
- Changi Recommends and the appointed operator will not be responsible for any accidents, loss of property or damage caused by individual negligence
- The e-ticket/e-voucher cannot be exchanged for cash or used on more than one occasion
- Any alteration(s) on the e-ticket/e-voucher will not be accepted by Changi Recommends and the appointed merchant
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances that affects tour departure or ticket/voucher invalidity, customers will be notified and be advised accordingly
- Tours/Experiences subject to cancellation without prior notice due to unforeseen circumstances, and (or) when there is an official request from the authorities
- Refunds will be given to customers under these circumstances:
- No refunds will be entertained for cancellation made 6 days or less prior the departure date
- 50% of the amount will be refunded to customers for cancellation made at least 7 days prior the departure date
- 80% of the amount will be refunded to customers for cancellation made at least 14 days prior the departure date
- There will be no refunds even if included items are not utilised by the visitor
- In the event of late comers/no show, it would be considered as cancellation and no refund will be given
- All amendments are subject to availability
- Additional charges may apply for amendments
Upon purchase of the ticket, you will receive an email confirmation with e-ticket/e-voucher within two days. Tours and tickets are subjected to availability and are not confirmed until a second confirmation email is received.
How to Get There
Inside of La Vie Shopping Center, Naturalmente Português Shop 1st. Floor (in front of ALE-HOP store), Rua Doutor Brito Câmara 9, 9000-039 Sé, Funchal.