Waitomo Glowworm Caves
Enjoy the world-famous boat ride under thousands of magical glowworms. Walk through the majestic Cathedral Cave, famous for its acoustics, while listening to stories about Maori culture from our local guides.
Discover a place where time and space stand still.
Having been extremely well protected and known as one of New Zealand's best natural attractions, the Waitomo Caves are as awe-inspiring as they were when first formed. Head back over 100 years in time and experience the Waitomo Caves like Maori Chief Tane Tinorau and English surveyor Fred Mace did, when they first discovered the magical light illuminated by the glowworms. Marvel at Mother Nature's light display: the stalactites shining with dew, and the dots of light littering the roof of the cave and reflected in the grotto. Experience the serene ambience as you glide silently through the starry wonderland of the Glowworm Grotto and enter this galaxy of tiny living lights.
Many of our guides are descendants of the Maori, bringing the cave to life through story-telling and legends of the caves passed down in Maori culture. This experience is like no other as you plunge into the darkness of caves and into a place of natural magic.
- Wear comfortable shoes and a warm jacket for the tour
- Children aged 3 and below (infants) are free of charge but require a ticket as well. Should you require, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your Order Number and number of Infant tickets required
- Waitomo Glowworm Cave is accessible to those with reasonable mobility, with good handrails and paths
- There is no wheelchair access
- All photography is strictly forbidden - this includes non-flash photography and video
- Maintain silence at all times, especially in the boat and on the jetties
Tours commence from 0900hrs daily and depart every 30 minutes, until 1700hrs (until 1600hrs on 25 December, Christmas Day)
Operating hours will be extended during the following periods:
- 1 November to 31 March - till 1730hrs
- 26 December to 28 February - till 1900hrs
What You Get
- Guided 45-minute tour to Waitomo Glowworm Caves
- Hotel transfers and transportation to and from tour departure point
- Personal expenses (optional)
- Souvenirs such as photographs (services available and payable on-site)
How to Use
Please present your voucher to the tour operator on the day of your tour.
Terms and Conditions
- Changi Recommends and the appointed operator will not be responsible for any accidents, loss of property or damage caused by individual negligence
- The e-ticket/e-voucher cannot be exchanged for cash or used on more than one occasion
- Any alteration(s) on the e-ticket/e-voucher will not be accepted by Changi Recommends and the appointed merchant
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances that affects tour departure or ticket/voucher invalidity, customers will be notified and be advised accordingly
- Tours/Experiences are subject to cancellation without prior notice due to unforeseen circumstances, and (or) when there is an official request from the authorities
- Refunds will be provided to customers under the following circumstances:
- No refunds will be entertained for cancellation made 6 days or less prior the departure date
- 50% of the amount will be refunded to customers for cancellation made at least 7 days prior the departure date
- 80% of the amount will be refunded to customers for cancellation made at least 14 days prior the departure date
- There will be no refunds even if included items are not utilised by the visitor
- In the event of latecomers/no show, it would be considered as cancellation and no refund will be entertained
- All amendments are subject to availability
- Additional charges may apply for amendments
Upon completion of purchase, you will receive an email confirmation with e-ticket/e-voucher within two days. Tours and tickets are subject to availability and are not confirmed until a second confirmation email is received.
How to Get There
39 Waitomo Village Rd, Waitomo Caves