St Benedict's Caverns Expedition in Waitomo
Explore the country's prettiest cave - also known as NZ's first Hobbit hole.
Imagine a huge underground chamber 100m long and 40m high - just bristling with stalactites, stalagmites, flowstone and all manner of wonderful natural creations. You gain access down a 60m shaft in two abseils. Once down, the group makes its way along connecting passages until you arrive at the main chamber. The best part is yet to come - clip onto a flying fox (zipline) that will zing you part way across the chamber. After that, it’s walking and clambering past even more unusual formations until reaching the exit stairs. Pop out a round door right in the side of a hill and back into sunlight. This is a round airlock door into the cave system and was put there many years ago (long before the Lord of the Rings movies) to protect the formations inside. Tthe other connection to Tolkien is that “real underground sounds” were collected here for the LOTR movies.
- You are strongly encouraged to wear comfortable "outdoorsey" clothes (shorts and thermal top; no jeans) and long thick socks that are suitable for bush walking
- Children aged 11 and below are not permitted on this tour; all children must be accompanied by an adult aged 18 and above at all times
Activity commences at 1000hrs & 1430hrs daily, except 25 December (Christmas Day) and 1 January (New Year's Day)
What You Get
- Approximately 4-hour itinerary, with more than 2 hours inside St Benedict's Caverns
- All equipment such as helmets, lights, overalls and PVC boots
- Hotel transfers and transportation
- Other personal expenses (optional)
How to Use
Please present a printed voucher to the operator on the day of your tour.
Terms and Conditions
- Changi Recommends and the appointed operator will not be responsible for any accidents, loss of property or damage caused by individual negligence
- The e-ticket/e-voucher cannot be exchanged for cash or used on more than one occasion
- Any alteration(s) on the e-ticket/e-voucher will not be accepted by Changi Recommends and the appointed merchant
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances that affects tour departure or ticket/voucher invalidity, customers will be notified and be advised accordingly
- Tours/Experiences are subject to cancellation without prior notice due to unforeseen circumstances, and (or) when there is an official request from the authorities
- Refunds will be provided to customers under the following circumstances:
- No refunds will be entertained for cancellation made 6 days or less prior the departure date
- 50% of the amount will be refunded to customers for cancellation made at least 7 days prior the departure date
- 80% of the amount will be refunded to customers for cancellation made at least 14 days prior the departure date
- There will be no refunds even if included items are not utilised by the visitor
- In the event of latecomers/no show, it would be considered as cancellation and no refund will be entertained
- All amendments are subject to availability
- Additional charges may apply for amendments
Upon completion of purchase, you will receive an email confirmation with e-ticket/e-voucher within two days. Tours and tickets are subject to availability and are not confirmed until a second confirmation email is received.
How to Get There
Waitomo Adventure Ltd
1227 Waitomo Valley Road, Waitomo 3977, New Zealand