Whale Watch Helicopter Flights (Explorer)
Focusing on the mighty sperm whales prevalent in the area year round, we are able to position you for that perfect photo by slowly orbiting around the whale in a way only a helicopter can.
From the helipads located adjacent to the unique Kaikoura Whale Sanctuary, you will be airborne searching for the amazing leviathans of the deep: the sperm whales - the world's largest toothed whales - that are year-round residents of Kaikoura.
During your experience, you will be taken on a journey above one of New Zealand’s most unique areas. Due to the special underwater geography of the area, it enables a huge abundance of food to be produced due to a large upwelling and mixing of both warm and cold currents. The food produced here supports a diverse variety of marine life, including various species of whales that migrate through the area such as humpback, southern right whales, blue whales, and, of course, our resident sperm whales.
Once you have spent time with the whale, relax and enjoy the flight back along the rugged coastline of Kaikoura, enjoying the views and spotting any other wildlife that are in the area. Stunning vistas and photo opportunities of the Kaikoura Peninsula, Seaward Kaikoura Mountain Ranges, and the Pacific Ocean await you at every turn.
- The sperm whales in Kaikoura are found year-round feeding on the rich waters flowing through the underwater Kaikoura Canyon. They typically follow a pattern throughout the day of diving down to feed, then returning to the surface to breathe. There is no specific time of day that is better or worse to see the whales
- To complete your booking, please send an email to email@example.com with your Order Number and Weight of all Participants
- Children aged 2 and below generally fly free of charge, provided they are seated on a parent or caregiver's lap, and weigh less than 18kg. Children under the age of 12 must fly with an adult
- Rain isn’t normally an issue for the pilots but if on the odd occasion you are unable to fly due to high winds and poor visibility, your flight can be rescheduled. Alternatively, if rescheduling your flight is not an option, we can refund your ticket price
- Kaikoura has a year-round Sperm Whale and dolphin population, as well as other frequently visiting whale species. The operator has a long history of operation and a fantastic success rate; the pilots are trained to spot whales and are familiar with their surfacing and breathing habits. Whales are wild animals, free to roam in their natural environment. As the operator has no control over their movements, whale sightings cannot be guaranteed
0830hrs, 0930hrs, 1130hrs, 1230hrs, 1530hrs, 1645hrs daily
What You Get
- 30-minute scenic helicopter flight
- Complimentary return transfers to helipad
- Personal expenses (optional)
How to Use
Please present a voucher to the operator on the day of your flight.
Terms and Conditions
- Changi Recommends and the appointed operator will not be responsible for any accidents, loss of property or damage caused by individual negligence
- The e-ticket/e-voucher cannot be exchanged for cash or used on more than one occasion
- Any alteration(s) on the e-ticket/e-voucher will not be accepted by Changi Recommends and the appointed merchant
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances that affects tour departure or ticket/voucher invalidity, customers will be notified and be advised accordingly
- Tours/Experiences are subject to cancellation without prior notice due to unforeseen circumstances, and (or) when there is an official request from the authorities
- Refunds will be provided to customers under the following circumstances:
- No refunds will be entertained for cancellation made 6 days or less prior the departure date
- 50% of the amount will be refunded to customers for cancellation made at least 7 days prior the departure date
- 80% of the amount will be refunded to customers for cancellation made at least 14 days prior the departure date
- There will be no refunds even if included items are not utilised by the visitor
- In the event of latecomers/no show, it would be considered as cancellation and no refund will be entertained
- All amendments are subject to availability
- Additional charges may apply for amendments
Upon completion of purchase, you will receive an email confirmation with e-ticket/e-voucher within two days. Tours and tickets are subject to availability and are not confirmed until a second confirmation email is received.
How to Get There
72 West End, Kaikoura 7300, New Zealand