Our half-day tour and culinary experience in Merida includes a visit to a bustling market, meeting local people and the chance to cook and sample some Yucatecan delicacies. You’ll learn about local ingredients and prepare at meal in your host’s home!
We begin our half-day Yucatan experience visiting one of Merida’s busiest markets that’s not frequented by tourists. Your English-speaking guide will show you some of the fruits and vegetables that are produced only in this region.
At this bustling market you’ll learn about vegetables such as achiote, pepita de calabaza and chile habanero. You’ll also do your shopping here for the meal you’ll prepare later today. We’ll then head to the home of our host for the day.
Yucatan's cuisine features one of the most varied selections of dishes in Mexico. Some of the dishes you may prepare include Yucatecan delicacies such as salbutes, panuchos, papadzules or codzitos. For a beverage you may enjoy horchata or hibiscus flower tea.
While we prepare our meal, our host and guide will explain some of the local traditions, the influence of other cultures on local customs and the differences between the Yucatecos and people from other parts of Mexico. You’ll learn some Spanish and Mayan words while enjoying the delicious dishes you’ve just prepared!
After a pleasant chat our Yucatan experience comes to an end and you’ll say “adios” to your new friends.
Duration: 5 hours
Start time: 10 am
What You Get
Merida Half-day Walking Tour And Culinary Experience
Adult: 12 years old and above
- English-speaking guide
- One light lunch and cooking session at a local family home
- Ingredients for all dishes
- Digital recipe book
- Snacks in the market
- Return taxi to your hotel
- Personal expenses
How to use:
- Latin Americans can be very conscious of appearance so try to be casual, but conservative in your dress. Outside of beach areas halter tops and very short shorts should not be worn. When visiting churches or religious sites shoulders and knees should be covered.
- Once your booking is confirmed, you will receive an e-voucher via email
- On the day, present the e-voucher on your mobile or print it out to exchange for tickets
Terms and Conditions
- Changi Recommends and the appointed operator will not be responsible for any accidents, loss of property or damaged caused by individual negligence
- The e-ticket/e-voucher cannot be exchanged for cash or used on more than one occasion
- Any alteration(s) on the e-ticket/e-voucher will not be accepted by Changi Recommends and the appointed merchant
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances that affects tour departure or ticket/voucher invalidity, customers will be notified and be advised accordingly
- Tours/Experiences subject to cancellation without prior notice due to unforeseen circumstances, and (or) when there is an official request from the authorities
- Refunds will be given to customers under these circumstances:
- No refunds will be entertained for cancellation made 6 days or less prior the departure date
- 50% of the amount will be refunded to customers for cancellation made at least 7 days prior the departure date
- 80% of the amount will be refunded to customers for cancellation made at least 14 days prior the departure date
- There will be no refunds even if included items are not utilised by the visitor
- In the event of late comers/no show, it would be considered as cancellation and no refund will be given
- All amendments are subject to availability
- Additional charges may apply for amendments
Upon purchase of the ticket, you will receive an email confirmation with e-ticket/e-voucher within two days. Tours and tickets are subjected to availability and are not confirmed until a second confirmation email is received.
How to Get There
Meeting point: lobby of the Caribe Hotel (Calle 59 x 60 at the corner of Hidalgo Park)