Discover the richness of the Mayan communities by visiting the community of Ek Balam. Learn how to weave a hammock, sew, and prepare tortillas by hand. Discover the impressive X'Canché Cenote and the archaeological site of Ek Balam.
Start the tour with an 8:30 AM pick up from your hotel in Merida. Set off on a 2-hour drive towards the small village of Ek Balam where Mayan is the most spoken language.
First, enjoy a relaxing visit to the town in the company of a local guide. See how this community brings together traditions and modernity, using tourism in a new way to reinforce its identity and improve the quality of life of its community while safeguarding the natural and cultural richness it possesses. Get to know the traditional way of life and households of the Yucatecan Mayan population. Participate in workshops as you learn how to prepare handmade tortillas, how to weave hammocks, and make machine embroidery.
Then, continue on to the X-Canché Cenote, located within the archaeological site of Ek Balam, making it the ideal place to rest before or after visiting it. To reach the cenote, take a 2-km ride by bicycle or trici-taxi (tuk tuk) through the jungle. Refresh yourself and rest while appreciating the biodiversity that revolves around the body of water.
At the end of your visit, enjoy a traditional Yucatecan dish at the cooperative’s restaurant. Visit the archeological site, recognized for its entirely Mayan architecture. Finally, at about 5 PM, return to Merida where your tour concludes.
Start time: 8.30 am
Duration: 11 hours
What You Get
Ek Balam Community & Cenote Private Day Tour
- Village tour
- Tortilla, hammock, and embroidery workshops
- Entrance to the X'Canché Cenote
- Bicycle or trici-taxi (tuk tuk) ride
- Lunch with beverages in the cooperative restaurant
- Access to facilities such as restaurant, bathrooms, dressing rooms, and hammock area
- Admission fee to Ek Balam archaeological site
- Personal expenses
- Activities such a ziplining, rappelling, hammock rest area in X'Canché (available to purchase on site)
How to use:
- This private tour requires a minimum of 4 persons
- Please come in comfortable clothes and shoes, and bring sunscreen, sunglasses, a hat and extra cash for souvenirs and personal expenses
- The tour itinerary is subject to change without notice
- Pick-up is available from hotels located in the Merida City Center. You will be informed of the pick-up time after your booking has been confirmed.
- To arrange your prick-up, email email@example.com with your order number and hotel address
- Once your booking is confirmed, you will receive an e-voucher via email
- On the day, present the e-voucher on your mobile or print it out
Terms and Conditions
- Changi Recommends and the appointed operator will not be responsible for any accidents, loss of property or damaged caused by individual negligence
- The e-ticket/e-voucher cannot be exchanged for cash or used on more than one occasion
- Any alteration(s) on the e-ticket/e-voucher will not be accepted by Changi Recommends and the appointed merchant
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances that affects tour departure or ticket/voucher invalidity, customers will be notified and be advised accordingly
- Tours/Experiences subject to cancellation without prior notice due to unforeseen circumstances, and (or) when there is an official request from the authorities
- Refunds will be given to customers under these circumstances:
- No refunds will be entertained for cancellation made 6 days or less prior the departure date
- 50% of the amount will be refunded to customers for cancellation made at least 7 days prior the departure date
- 80% of the amount will be refunded to customers for cancellation made at least 14 days prior the departure date
- There will be no refunds even if included items are not utilised by the visitor
- In the event of late comers/no show, it would be considered as cancellation and no refund will be given
- All amendments are subject to availability
- Additional charges may apply for amendments
Upon purchase of the ticket, you will receive an email confirmation with e-ticket/e-voucher within two days. Tours and tickets are subjected to availability and are not confirmed until a second confirmation email is received.
How to Get There
Pick-up is available from hotels located in the Merida City Center.
To arrange your prick-up, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your order number and hotel address