Traditional Dyeing Experience In Hiroshima
Get taught by a professional and make your original goods rich in color and pattern
You will dye two items using two different methods. One is Indigo-dyeing that has been developed in Fukuyama over a long time. The other is a method using colorful chemical dyes caused by the development of technique in pursuing colors not available in nature.You will dye 'Tenugui' hand towel with indigo and locally-produced sneakers with chemical dyes.
First, you will learn why the dyeing industry developed in Fukuyama. Next, you will dye sneakers by hand by choosing 3 colors out of 10 typical colors from Fukuyama and Japan. These are locally-produced sneakers developed from the original Japanese footwear, 'Tabi.' Feel how comfortable they are! Then, you will dye 'Tenugui.'Choose your favorite pattern out of 3 and tie the cloth using rubber bands. You will put on 'Samue,' Japanese work clothes, and soak the Tenugui in the indigo pot. Lastly, you will get your original sneakers and Tenugui you dyed. Bring back your original sneakers and 'Tenugui' (Japanese hand towel) as gifts from Japan!
Activity timing: 10 am
Duration: 120 mins
What You Get
Traditional Dyeing Experience in Hiroshima
Adult: 13 years old and above
- Materials for dyeing experience (dyes, tools, items to be dyed)
- This activity requires a minimum of 2 participants
- The duration of the experience may be prolonged if the dyeing work drags on
- The sizes of the sneakers are 22.5 cm to 27 cm for both men and women
- Dyed Tenugui is basically for appreciation and not for practical use.
- Dyed shoes will be handed in the half-dried state to protect the rubber parts
- This activity is not recommended for those with back pains
Terms and Conditions
- Changi Recommends and the appointed operator will not be responsible for any accidents, loss of property or damaged caused by individual negligence
- The e-ticket/e-voucher cannot be exchanged for cash or used on more than one occasion
- Any alteration(s) on the e-ticket/e-voucher will not be accepted by Changi Recommends and the appointed merchant
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances that affects tour departure or ticket/voucher invalidity, customers will be notified and be advised accordingly
- No refunds will be entertained for cancellations
- There will be no refunds even if included items are not utilised by the visitor
- In the event of late comers/no show, it would be considered as cancellation and no refund will be given
Upon purchase of the ticket, you will receive an email confirmation with e-ticket/e-voucher within two days. Tours and tickets are subjected to availability and are not confirmed until a second confirmation email is received.
How to Get There
Meeting point : Iwase Shoten & co. (Some-labo)
2-6 Ebisumachi, Fukuyama-shi, Hiroshima-ken, 720-0055, Japan