Dogo Onsen Experience In Ehime
Relax in the waters of Asuka no Yu, the annex of Dogo Onsen Honkan, one of Japan’s oldest bathhouses and be in awe at the beautiful design. Afterward, have a tasting experience at a nearby standing bar that serves Dogo beer, after a hot bath.
With over 3,000 years of history, Dogo Onsen Honkan is one of the oldest bathhouses in Japan and is the main tourist attraction of Dogo Onsen in Ehime Prefecture. The onsen's commanding architecture is considered to be the inspiration for Studio Ghibli's Spirited Away.
In this experience, you may enjoy a hot bath at Asuka no Yu, an annex of Dogo Onsen Honkan. The architecture is a modern recapturing of the Asuka period. The three-level wooden structure boasts an exquisite exterior filled with intricate ornaments including red glass windows on the watchtower and a metal egret on top of the cupola. The bathhouse uses alkaline hot spring water that's gentle on the skin—perfect for relaxing. The water is taken directly from the source with no added water or reheating done. It's one of the few onsens in Japan that does this. There's a legend of an injured egret whose leg was healed after soaking it into the waters of Dogo. This is why many consider the onsen's waters to have healing properties. After a relaxing bath, cool down at the public lounge while sipping some tea and enjoying a small Japanese snack.
Close to the onsen is Dogo Bakusyukan, a standing bar serving Dogo beer. It is specially made as a refreshment after a bath. The drinks served are made from a traditional brewery boasting over 120 years of history. It has won the Gold Award seven times at the Annual Japan Sake Awards.
Asuka no Yu opening hours:
- 1F large bathing room: 06:00–23:00 (last admission 22:30)
- 2F large public lounge: 06:00–22:00 pm (last admission 21:00)
Dogo Bakusyukan opening hours:
- Weekdays and holidays: from 15:00—20:00
- Weekends: from 12:00—20:00
What You Get
Dogo Onsen Experience in Ehime
Person: 20 years old and above
- Admission to Asuka no Yu
- Body soap
- Rental yukata
- Tasting set (if you want more, please purchase directly at the venue)
- Personal expenses
- Bathing at the private or public bath are limited to 90 minutes only
- The sweets might contain ingredients that aren't suitable for those with dietary restrictions
- Guests are able to visit the bar a day before or after bathing at Asuka no Yu. Please bring your confirmation email when you visit the bar
- The activity fee includes bathing and one drink at the bar. If you want to purchase more drinks, please pay directly at the venue
Terms and Conditions
- Changi Recommends and the appointed operator will not be responsible for any accidents, loss of property or damaged caused by individual negligence
- The e-ticket/e-voucher cannot be exchanged for cash or used on more than one occasion
- Any alteration(s) on the e-ticket/e-voucher will not be accepted by Changi Recommends and the appointed merchant
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances that affects tour departure or ticket/voucher invalidity, customers will be notified and be advised accordingly
- No refunds will be entertained for cancellations
- There will be no refunds even if included items are not utilised by the visitor
- In the event of late comers/no show, it would be considered as cancellation and no refund will be given
Upon purchase of the ticket, you will receive an email confirmation with e-ticket/e-voucher within two days. Tours and tickets are subjected to availability and are not confirmed until a second confirmation email is received.
How to Get There
Dōgo Onsen Annex Asuka no Yu
19-22 Dōgo Yunomachi, Matsuyama, Ehime 790-0842