Kotagedhe – meaning ‘big city’ in Javanese - was once the capital of the Mataram Sultanate, established in the 16th century. The area is still home to many intriguing old constructions such as the royal cemetery, royal mosque, defensive walls and moats. This charming neighborhood is also internationally renowned for its silver crafting.
This excursion is the perfect way to get lost in the old history of Yogyakarta; simply take your traditional Dutch bicycle and discover each quaint corner of this fascinating city, whilst getting to know the colourful characters of the local people. You’ll also get to see some intriguing homespun workshops, where locals sculpt the traditional Keris, which is a traditional sword that is considered by Javanese people to possess magical powers. In 2005, UNESCO gave it the title ‘Masterpiece of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity’. Another workshop that you will visit is a traditional bakery making “Kembang Waru” cake, which is a specialty of Kotagedhe.
Next, it’s on to the traditional market, then from there you’ll visit the royal cemetery of Mataram Kingdom, where you should wear Javanese dress in order to show respect for local wisdom. The cemetery is located next to the royal mosque, where you can see architecture that blends Islamic and Hindu imagery dating back many centuries.
Get some refreshment at nDalem Natan - a beautiful Javanese house built in 1857.
- UNESCO- World Heritage
- Dedicated guide with good knowledge in art, history and culture
- A quaint bicycle ride through the village
What you will do
- Drive from your hotel straight to Kotagedhe, where you will meet up with your local guide for a small briefing before cycling. Next, make a stop at the traditional Keris maker, then get going to Kembang Waru cake factory. Learn about the cake-making process and chat with the bakers whilst sampling the sweet treats!
- Continue your ride until you reach the traditional market, where you can see the hustle and bustle as locals barter for their daily commodities. After that, you will don traditional clothes and enter the royal cemetery and the royal mosque. Head to nDalem Natan for some refreshments before making your way back to the hotel.
Terms and Conditions
- Changi Recommends and the appointed operator will not be responsible for any accidents, loss of property or damaged caused by individual negligence
- The e-ticket/e-voucher cannot be exchanged for cash or used on more than one occasion
- Any alteration(s) on the e-ticket/e-voucher will not be accepted by Changi Recommends and the appointed merchant
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances that affects tour departure or ticket/voucher invalidity, customers will be notified and be advised accordingly
- Tours/Experiences subject to cancellation without prior notice due to unforeseen circumstances, and (or) when there is an official request from the authorities
- Refunds will be given to customers under these circumstances:
- No refunds will be entertained for cancellation made 4 days or less prior the departure date
- There will be no refunds even if included items are not utilised by the visitor
- In the event of late comers/no show, it would be considered as cancellation and no refund will be given
- All amendments are subject to availability
- Additional charges may apply for amendments
Upon purchase of the ticket, you will receive an email confirmation with e-ticket/e-voucher within two days. Tours and tickets are subjected to availability and are not confirmed until a second confirmation email is received.