Experience the cultural melting pot that is Jakarta's Chinatown. Known as Glodok, this is the biggest Chinatown in Indonesia, rich with history and steeped in tradition.
This 3-hour Jakarta walking tour begins by visiting one of Jakarta’s oldest Chinese houses, built in the 19th century but located in the middle of modern office blocks.
After that, you’ll walk to the centre of Jakarta’s Chinatown known as Glodok. We’ll stroll through the traditional market where you’ll find everything from Chinese decorations, to fresh vegetables and local fruits, exotic foods, and daily supplies for locals. Not far from the traditional market, we will visit some ancient temples to learn how the Chinese pray. Strolling through the residential areas, you’ll see how Chinese blend with the Malays and people from different ethnic groups. These cultures have assimilated beyond temples to create a charge in a Chinese house.
Lastly, we’ll walk through the famous food court, full of delicious local foods from pig belly to hainam rice. We’ll stop at a few of our favourite places, including an old coffee shop on a narrow street, for a taste of local delicacies. During our walk, we’ll experience local Chinese culture like the making of traditional Chinese calligraphy, getting your future predicted (an Indonesian passion), and checking out an ancient medicine store.
With your inner history buff satisfied and your senses awakened by the tastes and smells of Chinatown, you’ll be ready to take on the rest of Jakarta. Be sure to ask your local recommendations for what else to see, eat, and do!
- Explore the largest Chinatown in Indonesia with a local expert
- Visit Jakarta's oldest Chinese houses sandwiched between modern office blocks
- Peruse a traditional market and check out some ancient temples to learn how locals pray
- Stroll through a local neighbourhood to see how traditional Chinese arts, like calligraphy and fortune-telling, are still being practiced
- Sample a few local delicacies at the famous food court and old coffeehouse
Tour Start Time: 09:00hrs
Duration: 3 Hours
What You Get
- Local English speaking guide
- Lunch and coffee
- Donation to temple
- Personal needs
- Transportation to and from meeting point.
- What to wear: Please wear comfortable clothing and shoes/sandals for walking. Do not wear tank tops (or other sleeveless shirts) or revealing shorts.
- Children under the age of 6 are not permitted on this tour.
- Child aged 6-11 years pay the child rate
- Meeting Point: Seven Eleven Novotel Hotel, Jl. Gajah Mada No. 188 Jakarta Barat 11120.
How To Use
- Present either a printed or mobile voucher for this activity
- This voucher is only valid on the date and time specified
Terms and Conditions
- Changi Recommends and the appointed operator will not be responsible for any accidents, loss of property or damaged caused by individual negligence
- The e-ticket/e-voucher cannot be exchanged for cash or used on more than one occasion
- Any alteration(s) on the e-ticket/e-voucher will not be accepted by Changi Recommends and the appointed merchant
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances that affects tour departure or ticket/voucher invalidity, customers will be notified and be advised accordingly
- Tours/Experiences subject to cancellation without prior notice due to unforeseen circumstances, and (or) when there is an official request from the authorities
- Refunds will be given to customers under these circumstances:
- No refunds will be entertained for cancellation made 6 days or less prior the departure date
- There will be no refunds even if included items are not utilised by the visitor
- In the event of late comers/no show, it would be considered as cancellation and no refund will be given
- All amendments are subject to availability
- Additional charges may apply for amendments
Upon purchase of the ticket, you will receive an email confirmation with e-ticket/e-voucher within two days. Tours and tickets are subjected to availability and are not confirmed until a second confirmation email is received.