Raufarhólshellir Lava Tunnel: Underground Expedition
Explore an underground lava tube created by the mighty power of a volcanic eruption over 5,000 years ago on a journey through the Raufarhólshellir lava tunnel. Experience one of the longest lava tubes in Iceland, easily accessible all year round.
Meet us at Raufarhólshellir lava tunnel and experience one of the longest and best-known lave tubes in Iceland. Embark on an unforgettable adventure through a natural phenomenon, just 30 minutes drive from the capital.
As the tunnel is a work of nature, the terrain can be quite rough and hard to maneuver. A footbridge has been built inside the lava tube to make it easier to navigate and lights have been installed to further enhance the experience and highlight the ever-changing colors, landscape and geological formations. Cave Raufarhólshellir is one of the most expansive lava tubes in Iceland with its ceiling usually around 10 m (30 ft) high.
Follow the route of the footbridge with your guide as they explain the geological formations. Hear entertaining tales of Hollywood adventures, its ties with the ancient Indian tribes and other enjoyable tidbits. The standard tour takes approximately 1 hour and is suitable for anyone comfortable walking on an uneven surface and up and down steep stairs. Please note that this booking is for the standard tour without pick-up.
- Experience the magnificent lava tunnel of Raufarhólshellir
- Explore spellbinding lava formations rarely seen outside Iceland
- Enjoy the guide's overview of the cave’s geology and history
Tour runs hourly from 9am to 5pm.
What You Get
- Guided tour of the Raufarhólshellir lava tunnel
- Helmets and headlamps
How to Use
- Kindly present a printed or mobile copy of your voucher at the location
Terms and Conditions
- Changi Recommends and the appointed operator will not be responsible for any accidents, loss of property or damage caused by individual negligence
- The e-ticket/e-voucher cannot be exchanged for cash or used on more than one occasion
- Any alteration(s) on the e-ticket/e-voucher will not be accepted by Changi Recommends and the appointed merchant
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances that affects tour departure or ticket/voucher invalidity, customers will be notified and be advised accordingly
- Tours/Experiences subject to cancellation without prior notice due to unforeseen circumstances, and (or) when there is an official request from the authorities
- Refunds will be given to customers under these circumstances:
- No refunds will be entertained for cancellation made 6 days or less prior the departure date
- 50% of the amount will be refunded to customers for cancellation made at least 7 days prior the departure date
- 80% of the amount will be refunded to customers for cancellation made at least 14 days prior the departure date
- There will be no refunds even if included items are not utilised by the visitor
- In the event of late comers/no show, it would be considered as cancellation and no refund will be given
- All amendments are subject to availability
- Additional charges may apply for amendments
Upon purchase of the ticket, you will receive an email confirmation with e-ticket/e-voucher within two days. Tours and tickets are subjected to availability and are not confirmed until a second confirmation email is received.
How to Get There
Raufarhólshellir lava tunnel, Þorlákshafnarvegur