Want to experience the freedom to roam at your own pace along Iceland’s most popular hiking trails? This Hiking Pass is for you.
The Iceland On Your Own Hiking Pass is a great option for the adventurous traveller, as it is the ideal way to experience two of Iceland´s most popular hiking routes on your own. You simply purchase one pass and with it you get a bus transfer from Reykjavík to the start of your trail and back to Reykjavík from the end of the trail when you are done. Please note that travelling back and forth on the same bus route is not available. You can take as much time for the hike as you please within the pass time frame (14 June-20 September).
The Laugavegur hiking trail is one of the most popular hiking trails in Iceland and a favourite among the locals. The hike usually starts in Landmannalaugar and from there it is a 3-4 days hike to Þórsmörk (Thorsmork) nature reserve. This trail is a feast for the eyes, with diverse geological wonders, valleys, glaciers, mountains and unmatchable views.
Fimmvörðuháls hiking trail is another extremely popular route and during the last few years it has become something of a hit. One of the reasons for its popularity is the volcanic eruption that took place in the middle of the trail in 2010. The trail runs between the ever popular Skógafoss waterfall and the glorious Þórsmörk nature reserve. The hike takes you through a pass between the glaciers Eyjafjallajökull and Mýrdalsjökull and takes about 8-10 hours to complete, depending on the hiker’s pace. Travellers can even do the hike in 2 days, spending a night in the hut on Fimmvörðuháls along the way.
Hiking Laugavegur & Fimmvörðuháls
For experienced hikers, a combination of these two hiking trails is also an option. To hike all the way from Landmannalaugar to Skógar or vice versa, we recommend 5-7 days.
The Highland Bus
The Hiking Pass is valid for 2 of the 3 following routes with our Highland Bus when travelling to and from your trail.
- Reykjavík – Þórsmörk/Þórsmörk – Reykjavík (route operated 1 June – 20 September)
- Reykjavík – Landmannalaugar/Landmannalaugar – Reykjavík (route operated 14 June – 20 September)
- Reykjavík – Skógar/Skógar – Reykjavík (route operated 1 July – 31 August)
- See the Reykjavik Excursions Highland Bus - Schedule (pdf)
- To guarantee a seat on a preferred departure, please send an email to email@example.com with your booking number (which you will receive within 48 hours of purchase with Changi Recommends), your preferred dates, departure and arrival location as well as departure time, at least 48 hours before departure. (Please note that the bus might be fully booked on your preferred departure even with the 48-hour notice, the sooner you send an email requesting a seat, the more availability)
- Once you check in you will receive a confirmation and a voucher for each route
- Please collect your pass at BSÍ Bus Terminal Reykjavik at least 1 hour before departure
- The Hiking Passport is a ticket that includes a discount. Therefore, it cannot be refunded if it has been partially used
Terms and Conditions
- Changi Recommends and the appointed operator will not be responsible for any accidents, loss of property or damage caused by individual negligence
- The e-ticket/e-voucher cannot be exchanged for cash or used on more than one occasion
- Any alteration(s) on the e-ticket/e-voucher will not be accepted by Changi Recommends and the appointed merchant
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances that affects tour departure or ticket/voucher invalidity, customers will be notified and be advised accordingly
- Tours/Experiences subject to cancellation without prior notice due to unforeseen circumstances, and (or) when there is an official request from the authorities
- Refunds will be given to customers under these circumstances:
- No refunds will be entertained for cancellation made 6 days or less prior the departure date
- 50% of the amount will be refunded to customers for cancellation made at least 7 days prior the departure date
- 80% of the amount will be refunded to customers for cancellation made at least 14 days prior the departure date
- There will be no refunds even if included items are not utilised by the visitor
- In the event of late comers/no show, it would be considered as cancellation and no refund will be given
- All amendments are subject to availability
- Additional charges may apply for amendments
Upon purchase of the ticket, you will receive an email confirmation with e-ticket/e-voucher within two days. Tours and tickets are subjected to availability and are not confirmed until a second confirmation email is received.