Sólheimajökull glacier hike is the perfect way to spend the day out of Reykjavík. The best part: This tour is available all year round with pick-up service from Reykjavík. After pick up, you'll be driving towards the East direction out of the city to the glacier. Once there, you'll get crampons and helmet and safety instructions before we walk to the edge of the glacier over black volcanic ash. Once we reach Sólheimajökull, an outlet glacier of Mýrdalsjökull, you'll put on our glacier gears and set foot on the ice. Sólheimajökull is quite rugged; expect to marvel in awe while exploring the unique territory. Fun fact: Below the glacier tongue lies the fast growing lagoon whose size has almost doubled in size due to the retreat of the glacier. Complete the tour by going down the glacier via a different route.
On the way back to Reykjavík, you'll stop at two of the most magnificent waterfalls in Iceland that is Skógafoss and Seljalandsfoss.
Duration: Approximately 11 hours, 1.5 hour on the ice.
Pick up time:
1st of February - 15th of November: Reykjavík picks up at 8 am
16th of November – 31 of January: Reykjavík picks up at 7 am
Guided glacier hiking tour on Sólheimajökull glacier with a certified glacier guide and all specialized glacier gear; including glacier crampons, ice axe etc.and a pick up from Reykjavík.
Remember to bring: Warm outdoor clothing, waterproof jacket and pants, headwear and gloves. Good hiking shoes are recommended.
Minimum age: 10 years.
- Kindly provide all participants' names and hotel/accommodation details to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tours and tickets are subjected to availability and are not confirmed until a second confirmation email is received. In the event if the date selected is not available, alternative arrangements will be communicated via email.
- kindly present a printed copy or an electronic copy on your Smartphone for your tour. If you do not receive the confirmation email, kindly contact us at email@example.com
- No refunds will be entertained for any cancellations.
- Guests are encouraged to purchase their travel insurance on their own.