Experience the breathtaking Sólheimajökull glacier on this hiking tour from Reykjavik.
Glacier Experience is a tour that offers an easy glacier hike on Sólheimajökull glacier and is available all year around. Sólheimajökull is an outlet glacier of Mýrdalsjökull glacier, Iceland’s 4th biggest glacier. The glacier tongue is a rugged, raw and ever-changing hub of ancient frozen water. With pick-up from Reykjavík provided, going on this tour is a great way to spend the day exploring this truly phenomenal place.
Departing from Reykjavík, embark on a drive in an easterly direction out of the city to the glacier. Upon arrival, you’ll be receiving crampons, a helmet and safety instructions before your hike to the edge of the glacier over black volcanic ash. Arriving at Sólheimajökull, put on your glacier gear and set foot on the ice. As the terrain of Sólheimajökull is quite rugged, you can expect to explore a unique territory and as you make your way over the glacier.
The hiking part of the tour is about 2 hours with 1 to 1.5 hours spent on the glistening glacier.
Prior to concluding the tour in Reykjavík, the tour will make stopovers at two of the most magnificent waterfalls in Iceland, Skógafoss and Seljalandsfoss after the glacier hike.
- Remember to bring: Warm layers (not cotton), headwear, scarf, gloves, waterproof jacket and pants, hiking boots are essential as it is not possible to fit ice crampons onto any other footwear
- Visitors planning to go on this tour are recommended to dress in layers. Dress is 3 or 4 upper layers such as a light t-shirt (preferably wool) next to the skin, then a fleece or heavy wool garment, topped off with a waterproof wind-breaker
- Jeans are not recommended for the trip as they become very heavy, cold and uncomfortable to wear when they get wet
- Visitors are advised to wear lightweight hiking pants, track pants or long cotton pants and then wind/waterproof pants over
- Use of sunglasses and sunscreen is recommended for protection against high UV and sunlight reflection off the glacier
- As lunch is not provided, it is recommended you bring your own lunch, snacks and a bottle of water (you can refill it on the trip)
- Tour duration is approximately 10 hours
- Pick-up & drop-off: This tour includes pick up & drop off in Reykjavik, please be ready for pick up at your selected pick up location. Note that the pick up can take up to 30 min
- Please send an email with your order number to indicate your preference for pick up location to email@example.com
- In your email, please provide us with the following information:
Tour Availability: All year
Pick up: This tour includes pick up & drop off in Reykjavik. The pick-up time is at 08:00 hrs. Please be ready for pick up at your selected location. Do note that picking everyone up can take up to 30 minutes, your patience is greatly appreciated!
Choice of Pick Up Location
What You Get
- Guided Glacier Hike
- Certified Glacier Guide
- Specialized Glacier Gear
- All Required Safety Equipment
- English Speaking Licensed Adventure Guide
- Food and Beverages
- Rental of hiking shoes, waterproof jacet and pants (Optional)
How to Use
- Kindly present a printed copy of your voucher to the tour operator on the day of your tour
Terms and Conditions
- Tours and tickets are subjected to availability and are not confirmed until a second confirmation email is received. In the event if the date selected is not available, alternative arrangements will be communicated via email.
- The tour may disembark at a different location from the initial meeting point. For disembarkation, please enquire with the tour guide on the day of tour.
- There will be no refunds even if included items are not utilised by the visitor.
- In circumstances that the tour is cancelled due to bad weather conditions, customers will be notified before tour departure via e-mail. OR In circumstances that the tour is cancelled due to bad weather conditions, customers will be notified by the tour operator.
- Booking is required to be made 7 days prior the tour departure date.
- In the event of late comers/no show, it would be considered cancellation and no refund will be given.
About the Tour:
- Items not included are personal expenses during the tour (telephone, laundry, beverages etc.)
- Changi Recommends and the tour operator will not be responsible for any accidents, loss of property or damaged caused by individual negligence.
- The e-ticket cannot be exchanged for cash or used on more than one occasion.
- The value of the e-ticket/e-voucher is in Singapore dollars.
- Any alteration(s) on the e-ticket/e-voucher will not be accepted by Changi Recommends and the appointed merchant.
- Tour routes and schedule may be delayed/cancelled/changed without prior notice.
- Tour prices vary on seasons and weekdays/weekends, Changi Recommends reserves the right to change prices without prior notice. In the event where changes are made, the revised figures will be posted on the website.
- Tour routes subject to cancellation without prior notice due to weather conditions, and (or) when there is an official request from the authorities.
- Refunds will be given to customers under these circumstances.
- No refunds will be entertained for cancellation made 6 days or less prior the tour date.
- 50% of the amount will be refunded to customers for cancellation made at least 7 days prior the tour date.
- 80% of the amount will be refunded to customers for cancellation made at least 14 days prior the tour date.
Full refunds will be given to customers who have purchased the loss coverage for cancellation made at least 7 days prior the tour date.
Please e-mail any changes to the tour dates and number of visitors to firstname.lastname@example.org at least 7 calendar days before the tour date.