Join a non-guided bus tour to Þórsmörk, named after the Norse god Thor, a forested gem hidden between mountains and glaciers.
A day in Þórsmörk, Valley of Gods, is a must-see while in Iceland. You can join the tour from Hella at 9:10 AM, Hvolsvöllur at 9:30 AM or Seljalandsfoss at 10:00 AM (see note below). Travelers in rental cars, please note that this route is only accessible for elevated jeeps and highland buses.
You can choose between three destinations in Þórsmörk: Stakkholtsgjá Canyon, Básar or Húsadalur. You will be crossing some smaller glacial rivers and to get to Húsadalur, you will be crossing the fierce river Krossá. You will have roughly 6-hours in Þórsmörk to explore. There are various hiking trails to choose between, short and longer ones. Hiking maps will be sold in the bus.
Stakkholtsgjá Canyon reaches almost two km into the landscape, at its deepest 100 meters. To reach the end of the canyon, you need to wade through a small river but it is worth it to view the small spring waterfall there. It takes approximately 1.5-hours to walk to the canyon and back. From Stakkholtsgjá, it is an hours walk into Básar and into Húsadalur.
In Básar, there are many lovely hiking trails. There is also a cabin there but no shops or restaurants. The three most popular paths are the following:
- the circular Básar walk is an easy walk. Start the walk outside of the attendant's cabin and return down the wooden steps behind the hut (1 – 1.5-hours)
- walk up Strákagil Canyon and back (2.5– 3-hours)
- hike up Réttarfell Mountain (1.5 – 2-hours – longer if you hike the full circle through Álfakirkja)
From Básar, it is an hours walk into Langidalur and from there, a little over an hour to Húsadalur.
At the stop in Húsadalur, stop at the Volcano Huts. At LavaGrill Restaurant & Bar, you can buy lunch or get a lunch package to take with you on the hike. For a small fee, you can also use the LavaSPA, showers, sauna and a small man-made geothermally heated pool. The water is around 32°C or 90°F. For complete relaxation, you can also book a massage.
There are many good hiking trails in Húsadalur such as the following:
- the Panorama Trail with a 360° view of Þórsmörk (1.5- 2-hours)
- the Highlights Trail takes you to the best views of Þórsmörk (3- 4-hours)
- Merkurrani Plateau Trail with views over the Krossá River, Eyjafjallajökull and the surrounding mountains of Þórsmörk. You should also make a short stop at the Sóttarhellir Cave (2- 3-hours)
Please note, hiking maps are sold at the Sterna Travel front desk in Harpa and our bus stop in Hella.
- Bring along warm layered clothing, a hat, gloves, good shoes, swim suit and a towel (if you want to use the LavaSpa)
- You have the option to start from Harpa concert hall in downtown Reykjavik at 07:15 AM (bus lane beside the building) or at Reykjavik campsite at 07:30 AM. Please be there at least 10 minutes before departure.
- After purchase, please email to firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange your pickup. Include your order number and chosen pickup point in the email
Terms and Conditions
- Changi Recommends and the appointed operator will not be responsible for any accidents, loss of property or damage caused by individual negligence
- The e-ticket/e-voucher cannot be exchanged for cash or used on more than one occasion
- Any alteration(s) on the e-ticket/e-voucher will not be accepted by Changi Recommends and the appointed merchant
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances that affects tour departure or ticket/voucher invalidity, customers will be notified and be advised accordingly
- Tours/Experiences subject to cancellation without prior notice due to unforeseen circumstances, and (or) when there is an official request from the authorities
- Refunds will be given to customers under these circumstances:
- No refunds will be entertained for cancellation made 6 days or less prior the departure date
- 50% of the amount will be refunded to customers for cancellation made at least 7 days prior the departure date
- 80% of the amount will be refunded to customers for cancellation made at least 14 days prior the departure date
- There will be no refunds even if included items are not utilised by the visitor
- In the event of late comers/no show, it would be considered as cancellation and no refund will be given
- All amendments are subject to availability
- Additional charges may apply for amendments
Upon purchase of the ticket, you will receive an email confirmation with e-ticket/e-voucher within two days. Tours and tickets are subjected to availability and are not confirmed until a second confirmation email is received.
How to Get There
You have the option to start from Harpa concert hall in downtown Reykjavik at 07:15 AM (bus lane beside the building) or at Reykjavik campsite at 07:30 AM. Please be there at least 10 minutes before departure.