Experience the magnificent wonders of Southern Iceland, Solheimajokull glacier & Skogafoss waterfall.
This tour offers you the opportunity to hike and climb at the immeasurably magnificent Sólheimajökull glacier. Sólheimajökull is an outlet glacier of Mýrdalsjökull glacier, Iceland’s 4th biggest glacier. The glacier tongue is a rugged, raw and ever-changing hub of ancient frozen water. We will explore this truly phenomenal place and also have the chance to test our ice climbing skills. With its amazing ice formations, sinkholes and jagged ridges, Sólheimajokull glacier is absolutely an unforgettable site to spend the day
With all equipment provided, ice axes, crampons, helmets and safety lines, your tour will start with an introduction to these equipment and safety instructions. To ensure your safety on the ice, your certified glacier guide will show you how to use the equipment and give you a safety briefing before introducing you to the majestic ice wonderland.
This small group tour is a fabulous glacier hiking adventure for beginners or those with glacier experience. On this tour, you’ll have the opportunity to try ice climbing too! There is nothing more sensational than ice climbing in Iceland! Suitable for anyone who intends to conquer a glacier, this tour is truly the queen of glacier expeditions, giving you three magnificent hours on the ice!
Your friendly and knowledgeable guide will make sure you are always safe on the ice and share some fascinating and fun glacier facts with you. This is a frozen world, but did you know it is always moving? You may even hear the ice cracking as it adjusts beneath you!
This tour is available with pick up from Reykjavík or you can meet us on location at Sólheimajökull glacier car park.
Pick-up from Reykjavik
The journey to Sólheimajökull will take you on a sightseeing trip through the South Iceland countryside, along the way we pass through some picturesque towns and villages. On the return journey to Reykjavík, we stop at the stunning Seljalandsfoss waterfall, a wonderfully graceful waterfall which drops around 60 meters into the otherwise tranquil pool below.
We will also stop at the beautiful Skógafoss waterfall. On a sunny day, you will often see a rainbow around the tumultuous cascade as it drops 60 m into the calm river below. A lovely legend tells of a chest of treasure hidden in a cave behind this waterfall – this tour will certainly leave you with memories to treasure forever!
- Remember to bring: Warm layers (not cotton), headwear, scarf, gloves, waterproof jacket and pants, hiking boots are essential as it is not possible to fit ice crampons onto any other footwear
- Visitors planning to go on this tour are recommended to dress in layers. Dress is 3 or 4 upper layers such as a light t-shirt (preferably wool) next to the skin, then a fleece or heavy wool garment, topped off with a waterproof wind-breaker
- Jeans are not recommended for the trip as they become very heavy, cold and uncomfortable to wear when they get wet
- Visitors are advised to wear lightweight hiking pants, track pants or long cotton pants and then wind/waterproof pants over
- Use of sunglasses and sunscreen is recommended for protection against high UV and sunlight reflection off the glacier
- As lunch is not provided, it is recommended you bring your own lunch, snacks and a bottle of water (you can refill it on the trip)
- Tour duration is about 4.5 hours with approx. 3 hours on ice, this includes the hour spend climbing / ~11 hours with transfer from Reykjavik
- Pick up: For those who have chosen to be picked up in Reykjavík, the pick-up time is at 09:00 AM. Picking everyone up can take up to 30 minutes, your patience is greatly appreciated!
- Meet on location time: If you have chosen to meet us on location please be ready at 13:00 at Sólheimajökull Car Park
- Distance from Reykjavik approx. 164 km / 101 mi. GPS coordinates for the Sólheimajökull Car Park: 63°31’00.48″N, 19°22’00.12W(WGS84)
- Please send an email with your order number to indicate your preference for pick up to firstname.lastname@example.org
- In your email, please provide us with the following information:
Tour Availability: All year
Pick up: For those who have chosen to be picked up in Reykjavík, the pick-up time is at 09:00 AM. Picking everyone up can take up to 30 minutes, your patience is greatly appreciated!
Meet on location time: If you have chosen to meet us on location please be ready at 13:00 at Sólheimajökull Car Park
What You Get
- Guided Glacier Hiking
- Optional Introduction to Ice Climbing
- Certified Glacier Guide
- All Required Safety Equipment
- English Speaking Licensed Adventure Guide
- Harness, Helmet & Ice Axe
- Food and Beverages
- Rental of hiking boots, waterproof jacket and pants (optional)
How to Use
- Kindly present a printed copy of your voucher to the tour operator on the day of your tour
Terms and Conditions
- Tours and tickets are subjected to availability and are not confirmed until a second confirmation email is received. In the event if the date selected is not available, alternative arrangements will be communicated via email.
- The tour may disembark at a different location from the initial meeting point. For disembarkation, please enquire with the tour guide on the day of tour.
- There will be no refunds even if included items are not utilised by the visitor.
- In circumstances that the tour is cancelled due to bad weather conditions, customers will be notified before tour departure via e-mail. OR In circumstances that the tour is cancelled due to bad weather conditions, customers will be notified by the tour operator.
- Booking is required to be made 7 days prior the tour departure date.
- In the event of late comers/no show, it would be considered cancellation and no refund will be given.
About the Tour:
- Items not included are personal expenses during the tour (telephone, laundry, beverages etc.)
- Changi Recommends and the tour operator will not be responsible for any accidents, loss of property or damaged caused by individual negligence.
- The e-ticket cannot be exchanged for cash or used on more than one occasion.
- The value of the e-ticket/e-voucher is in Singapore dollars.
- Any alteration(s) on the e-ticket/e-voucher will not be accepted by Changi Recommends and the appointed merchant.
- Tour routes and schedule may be delayed/cancelled/changed without prior notice.
- Tour prices vary on seasons and weekdays/weekends, Changi Recommends reserves the right to change prices without prior notice. In the event where changes are made, the revised figures will be posted on the website.
- Tour routes subject to cancellation without prior notice due to weather conditions, and (or) when there is an official request from the authorities.
- Refunds will be given to customers under these circumstances.
- No refunds will be entertained for cancellation made 6 days or less prior the tour date.
- 50% of the amount will be refunded to customers for cancellation made at least 7 days prior the tour date.
- 80% of the amount will be refunded to customers for cancellation made at least 14 days prior the tour date.
Full refunds will be given to customers who have purchased the loss coverage for cancellation made at least 7 days prior the tour date.
Please e-mail any changes to the tour dates and number of visitors to email@example.com at least 7 calendar days before the tour date.