Get on the Highland Bus - the perfect way for the independent traveller to experience Iceland's most popular hiking routes.
The Field of Thor
Þórsmörk (Thor’s field or forest) is a magical lush oasis surrounded by glaciers, glacier tongues and the awesome highlands. It is a favourite among nature-loving Icelanders (i.e. all Icelanders) and a place of such diverse and magnificent beauty that no number of adjectives can do it justice. We’re just telling it like it is.
The Greatest Hiking Trails in Iceland
Þórsmörk isn’t just famous for its unique beauty. It is also the start or finish of two of Iceland’s most popular hiking trails, Laugavegur (to Landmannalaugar) and Fimmvörðuháls (to Skógar). Laugavegur is a 3-4 day hike while Fimmvörðuháls is a day trip, 2 days if you want to take your time and drink in the surroundings. If you prefer shorter hikes or easy strolls in the untouched wilderness, Þórsmörk has numerous marked trails to suit all walkabout tastes. Or you could simply hang out with your BBQ and let your eyes drink it all in. Whatever you do, give yourself time to enjoy the glory of Þórsmörk.
The Highland Bus
Icelandic highland roads are often dirt tracks or gravel roads and can be quite tricky to navigate. The road to Þórsmörk is especially difficult due to the powerful glacial river that needs to be crossed and difficult road conditions and is not accessible to normal vehicles. Reykjavik Excursions operates specialized highland buses with professional drivers that navigate these roads with ease and comfort. The Highland Bus runs daily between Reykjavik and Skógar/Þórsmörk/Landmannalaugar to serve the nature-loving hikers and travellers that frequent these parts.
Let us drop you off and pick you up so you can truly do Iceland on your own.
- See the Reykjavik Excursions Highland Bus - Schedule (pdf)
- For more information, visit Þórsmörk Adventure - Iceland On Your Own
- To check-in, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your booking number (which you will receive within 48 hours of purchase with Changi Recommends), your preferred dates, departure and arrival location as well as departure time, at least 48 hours before departure. (Please note that the bus might be fully booked on your preferred departure even with the 48-hour notice, the sooner you send an email requesting a seat, the more availability)
- Once you check in you will receive a confirmation and a voucher for each route
- Check out the more flexible Hiking Pass if you plan a longer hike
Terms and Conditions
- Changi Recommends and the appointed operator will not be responsible for any accidents, loss of property or damage caused by individual negligence
- The e-ticket/e-voucher cannot be exchanged for cash or used on more than one occasion
- Any alteration(s) on the e-ticket/e-voucher will not be accepted by Changi Recommends and the appointed merchant
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances that affects tour departure or ticket/voucher invalidity, customers will be notified and be advised accordingly
- Tours/Experiences subject to cancellation without prior notice due to unforeseen circumstances, and (or) when there is an official request from the authorities
- Refunds will be given to customers under these circumstances:
- No refunds will be entertained for cancellation made 6 days or less prior the departure date
- 50% of the amount will be refunded to customers for cancellation made at least 7 days prior the departure date
- 80% of the amount will be refunded to customers for cancellation made at least 14 days prior the departure date
- There will be no refunds even if included items are not utilised by the visitor
- In the event of late comers/no show, it would be considered as cancellation and no refund will be given
- All amendments are subject to availability
- Additional charges may apply for amendments
Upon purchase of the ticket, you will receive an email confirmation with e-ticket/e-voucher within two days. Tours and tickets are subjected to availability and are not confirmed until a second confirmation email is received.