Dunhuang is known for its key position on the Silk Road and therefore home of historical remnants from another time.
Dunhuang is known for its key position on the Silk Road and therefore home of historical remnants from another time. This private tour includes the visit to the UNESCO listed Mogao Caves, the breathtaking Crescent Moon Spring and the Echoing Sand Mountain.
Meet your guide at your hotel in Dunhuang city centre, who will then bring you to the Mogao Caves, also known as the Caves of the Thousand Buddhas. These caves form a system of 492 temples and are located about 25 kilometers southeast of Dunhuang city.
One of the most important caves at the complex is the ‘Library Cave”, which was discovered in 1900. The cave contained a large amount of important religious documents which had been sealed up in the cave in the 11th century. Post discovery, the contents of the cave were spread across Beijing, London, Paris and Berlin, to coordinate, collect and study the materials found. This cave is also open to visitors and draws large crowds.
Afterwards we will take you to a restaurant for a traditional Chinese cuisine lunch. Following lunch, the tour continues to the incredible Crescent Spring and Echoing Sand Mountain.
Crescent Spring is 100 meters long and 25 meters wide, deeper in the east than the west. The spring has been surrounded by desert for thousands of years, and the water here is extremely clear. There’s lush vegetation surrounding the spring and this oasis was a pinnacle for ancient travelers.
Its name comes from the shape, which resembles a half moon, and the spring is surrounded by Echoing Sand Mountain. This mountain is known to ‘whisper’ when the breeze comes in from certain angles, hence its name. This mountain also offers a heap of fun for those who like sand gliding or camel riding.
Transfer back to your hotel with the rest of the day on your own arrangement
- Seek enlightenment among the Buddhist statues of the Mogao Caves, where the Silk Road traders used to stop to pray for a safe voyage
- Discover the amazing crescent moon lake, an oasis in the Dunhuang desert surrounded by the Echoing Sand Mountain
- Sit back while your tour guide organizes hassle-free private transportation, an exotic lunch and detailed English explanations
Tour starts at 08:30am, ends at 04:30pm
What You Get
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transportation by private vehicle or minivan
- Professional & friendly English-speaking tour guide
- Main entrance tickets to the tour sites as per the itinerary
- Traditional Chinese cuisine lunch
- Gratuities (optional)
- Additional drinks or snacks
- Hotel Pick-up and Drop-off is within Dunhuang City Centre
- Kindly be at the hotel lobby at least 10 minutes before the pick-up time
- This is a private tour. Only your group will participate
- Recommended to dress in comfortable shoes
- Note: The start and end times will vary depending on traffic and road conditions
- Passport Details of All Travellers are required by our operator for the this tour reservation
- This tour includes attractions with limited amount of tourists per day. Therefore a change of visit date may be required if the attractions has reached it entry capacity for that day.
How To Use
- Present either a printed or mobile voucher to the guide to verify before boarding the vehicle
- This tour is valid on the date and time specified
How To Buy
- After purchase, kindly email the following details to email@example.com:
- Name of Hotel
- Passport Details of All Travellers
Terms and Conditions
- Changi Recommends and the appointed operator will not be responsible for any accidents, loss of property or damaged caused by individual negligence
- The e-ticket/e-voucher cannot be exchanged for cash or used on more than one occasion
- Any alteration(s) on the e-ticket/e-voucher will not be accepted by Changi Recommends and the appointed merchant
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances that affects tour departure or ticket/voucher invalidity, customers will be notified and be advised accordingly
- Tours/Experiences subject to cancellation without prior notice due to unforeseen circumstances, and (or) when there is an official request from the authorities
- Refunds will be given to customers under these circumstances:
- No refunds will be entertained for cancellation made 6 days or less prior the departure date
- There will be no refunds even if included items are not utilised by the visitor
- In the event of late comers/no show, it would be considered as cancellation and no refund will be given
- All amendments are subject to availability
- Additional charges may apply for amendments
Upon purchase of the ticket, you will receive an email confirmation with e-ticket/e-voucher within two days. Tours and tickets are subjected to availability and are not confirmed until a second confirmation email is received.