The Forbidden City, or "former palace" (Gù Gōng, 故宫), is one of the must-see sights in Beijing. In the afternoon sunshine, the red walls and golden roof tiles cast a glow across the vast courtyards of this symbol of China's mighty imperial past. If pressed for time, try to spend at least half a day exploring; if you have more time, consider return trips—the Forbidden City's stately spaces and myriad treasures are best lingered over.
The Temple of Heaven, completed in 1420 during the reign of the Ming Emperor Yongle, was the most sacred space in which the emperor—also known as the Son of Heaven—performed the most important sacrifices and rites. The gods of earth, water, war, and civilian affairs were all honored, but it was the god of agriculture who received special attention. On the winter solstice, the emperor, after ritual fasts and purification, would beseech Heaven for bountiful harvests.
An excellent expression of China's imperial spirit, the Summer Palace should be explored at leisure, even if it means setting aside a full day just to wander around soaking up the atmosphere. That said, if you're short on time, even a few hours exploring the halls, courtyards, pavilions, temples and wooded hillsides of this opulent lakeside retreat should prove a highlight of your Beijing visit.
7:30-8:30 a.m. Beijing downtown hotel pickup
9:00 a.m. Forbidden City (Zǐjìn Chéng, 紫禁城) (about 2.5 hours, closed on Mondays)
12:00 p.m. Temple of Heaven (Tiāntán, 天坛) (about 1 hour)
1:30 p.m. Lunch at a local restaurant
2:00 p.m. Summer Palace (Yíhé Yuán, 颐和园) (about 1.5 hours)
6:00 p.m. Return to hotel
－This product is not open to Chinese passport holders.
7.30am - 6pm
－English-speaking tour guide
－Admission fees, meals and transportation as listed in the details
－Cost of boat ride in Kunming Lake
－Personal expenses, optional items and anything else not specifically mentioned
- Should your hotel falls within the 2nd Ring Rd and you would like hotel pick-up, kindly fill up the form here with your hotel details.
- You will receive a separate e-voucher within 2 working days.
- You will be contacted before 11:00 p.m. the day before your scheduled activity to confirm pickup information regarding your driver and/or tour guide. Please call 010-51652700 for any urgent matters.
- All listed meals are Chinese food. Please notify us ahead of time for any dietary restrictions (allergies, vegetarian, etc).
- Please ensure personal and travel information is entered correctly. Changi Recommends will not be liable for any incorrect and/or missing information.
- Amendment/Cancellation Policy: All amendments and/or cancellations have to be done 3 working days prior to your tour. No amendments and/or cancellations will be entertained less than 3 working days prior to tour.
Beijing Downtown Hotel Pickup