Spend the day learning about Phnom Penh's past and present. Delve into the region's history; it's dark but essential to understanding the Cambodia of today.
Your Phnom Penh tour starts by learning about and confronting Cambodia's tragic past. You’ll take a guided tour of the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum, a former school that served as a Khmer Rouge torture centre. Then, head out of the city to the Choueng Ek Memorial, where a pagoda made up of some 8,000 human skulls marks the site of one of the infamous Killing Fields. Afterwards, make a difference to the Cambodian community by enjoying a Khmer lunch at an NGO training restaurant.
Next on your Phnom Penh tour, you’ll travel by moto-remork (a Cambodian tuk-tuk) and head out of Phnom Penh on the Japanese Friendship Bridge before catching a ferry across the mighty Mekong River to Mekong Island. The island is famous for silk weaving, agriculture, and aquaculture (85% of residents earn their living from these industries). We'll stop to see the silk weavers at work in the village, where you can purchase some of the local products if you wish. As you wander the village, you can explore a Buddhist temple and floating fish farms, see fields of rice and morning glory, and enjoy local Khmer snacks at a family home.
Say goodbye to the tuk-tuk and board a boat to enjoy the sunset from the water at the junction of the Tonle Bassac, Tonle Sap, and the mighty Mekong. You’ll see the distinctive architecture of Cambodia, with Khmer influenced buildings such as Wat Ounalom, the Royal Palace, and the Silver Pagoda, as well as French colonial buildings, some renovated, some ravaged by neglect and the war.
Finally, we close off the Mekong boat tour with a gorgeous sunset, and return you back to Phnom Penh and your hotel.
- Explore Phnom Penh's recent tragic history by paying visit to the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum and Choueng Ek bone pagoda
- Savour the flavours of Khmer lunch at an NGO training restaurant
- Travel by boat to explore an island in the Mekong, discovering the local way of life and maybe even try your hand at silk weaving
- Wander around local villages, visit a family home and sample Khmer snacks and fruits
- Marvel at Phnom Penh's Khmer and French colonial architecture
Tour Starts Time: 08:30hrs
What You Get
- Local English speaking guide
- Entrance fees to Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum (S21) and Choueng Ek Killing Field
- Transport by vehicle, moto-remork and local boat
- Khmer snacks and lunch
- Items of a personal nature
- Additional Food
- Tips/gratuities for drivers or guide.
- What to wear: Dress standards are conservative throughout Asia, especially outside major cities. To respect this, and for your own comfort, we strongly recommend modest clothing. This means clothing that covers your shoulders and knees. Loose, lightweight, long clothing is both respectful and cool in the predominately hot Asian climate. Visitors to the Royal Palace must wear shorts or skirts that are knee-length or below, shirt sleeves that reach the elbow or longer, and sandals or shoes (no flip flops). Otherwise, they will be required to rent appropriate covering.
- Closure of sites: The Royal Palace grounds may be closed on important Khmer holidays for part or all of the day, and as such the order of visiting different sites may change in order to accommodate this.
- Children below the age of 6 are not permitted on this tour.
- Child Price: Age 6-11 years old
- Pick-up/Drop-off at centrally located hotels in Phnom Penh
How To Use
- Present either a printed or mobile voucher for this activity
- This voucher is only valid on the date and time specified
How To Buy
- After purchase, kindly email the following details to firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms and Conditions
- Changi Recommends and the appointed operator will not be responsible for any accidents, loss of property or damaged caused by individual negligence
- The e-ticket/e-voucher cannot be exchanged for cash or used on more than one occasion
- Any alteration(s) on the e-ticket/e-voucher will not be accepted by Changi Recommends and the appointed merchant
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances that affects tour departure or ticket/voucher invalidity, customers will be notified and be advised accordingly
- Tours/Experiences subject to cancellation without prior notice due to unforeseen circumstances, and (or) when there is an official request from the authorities
- Refunds will be given to customers under these circumstances:
- No refunds will be entertained for cancellation made 6 days or less prior the departure date
- There will be no refunds even if included items are not utilised by the visitor
- In the event of late comers/no show, it would be considered as cancellation and no refund will be given
- All amendments are subject to availability
- Additional charges may apply for amendments
Upon purchase of the ticket, you will receive an email confirmation with e-ticket/e-voucher within two days. Tours and tickets are subjected to availability and are not confirmed until a second confirmation email is received.