Learn about Austrian history as you explore the mix of architectural styles, the medieval cloister and more - there's 900 years of history here.
Dive into more than 900 years of history at Klosterneuburg Monastery. See how it has developed into a religious, scientific, cultural, and economic center in Vienna, visit the winery founded in the 13th century, and get a free audio tour. And don't miss the Verdun Altar - one of the most significant works of medieval art!
Klosterneuburg Monastery was founded over 900 years ago by the Babenberg Margrave Leopold III – who later became the patron saint of Austria. It was the residence of the Babenbergs and Habsburgs and holds the crown of the Archduchy of Austria in its Treasure Chamber.
The Verdun Altar is one of the most important artworks of the Middle Ages. Consisting of 45 gilded copper plates, it's arranged in three horizontal rows in St Leopold's Chapel, depicting the epochs of salvation. Don't miss it while you're here!
But you'll also want to soak up the atmosphere of Klosterneuburg Monastery. As well as a religious, scientific and economic center, this spot has become a cultural hub for the Viennese. Feel 900 years of history seeping through the walls as you explore!
- Youths under the age of 19 enter for free
- Treasury: daily, winter 10:00-16:00, summer 09:00-18:00
- Monastery Museum: Sat, Sun, holidays: 14:00-16:00 (winter) / 17:00 (summer)
- Guided Tour of the Excavation + Annual Exhibition: daily, 11:00, 12:30, 14:30, 16:00
- All of the above
- Monastery Tour (Verdun Altar, Cloister, Church): winter daily 10:30, 11:45, 15:45; summer daily 10:00, 11:30, 16:45
- Monastery Grand Tour (Verdun Altar, Cloister, Church, Imperial Rooms, Marble Hall): winter daily 13:00; summer Mon-Fri 13:30, Sat-Sun 13:30, 15:00
- Winery Tour: winter daily 14:30; summer Mon-Fri 15:00, Sat-Sun 13:00, 15:00
(Winter: 15 Nov-30 Apr. Summer: 1 May-14 Nov)
Terms and Conditions
- Changi Recommends and the appointed operator will not be responsible for any accidents, loss of property or damaged caused by individual negligence
- The e-ticket/e-voucher cannot be exchanged for cash or used on more than one occasion
- Any alteration(s) on the e-ticket/e-voucher will not be accepted by Changi Recommends and the appointed merchant
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances that affects tour departure or ticket/voucher invalidity, customers will be notified and be advised accordingly
- No refunds will be entertained for cancellations
- There will be no refunds even if included items are not utilised by the visitor
- In the event of late comers/no show, it would be considered as cancellation and no refund will be given
Upon purchase of the ticket, you will receive an email confirmation with e-ticket/e-voucher within two days. Tours and tickets are subjected to availability and are not confirmed until a second confirmation email is received.
How to Get There
Stiftsplatz 1, 3400, Klosterneuburg